Chick chirping loudly while pooping

A second set of hands is super helpful for getting coconut oil inside of a chick. We had an easier time giving melted coconut oil using a syringe with the needle removed. One person opened and held open the beak, while the other administered the coconut oil, one drop at a time.

One reason the chick could be constipated is due to dehydration. To encourage increased water intake, you can try mixing up their feed with water and offer that to the chicks. Ours loved it and it's an easy way to make sure that they are getting water. Be sure your brooder isn't too hot, as that can cause dehydration.
Yeah I got my husband to help me just now but he was getting impatient and wouldn’t let the chick swallow before giving her more oil so I told him to just go. She keeps having diarrhea every morning and then she’s constipated for the rest of the day. The poop isn’t even hard, she just has a hard time getting it out. I really think she just needs to drink more water and she would get over this. I’m gonna try to mix their feed with water to see if that helps. The brooder was in the 90s at the hottest spot whenever she first started showing signs of being constipated so I adjusted things and now it ranges from mid 80s at the hottest spot to high 60s farthest away from the lamp. I think some of the chicks are younger than others so they seem to prefer different temperatures.

Wetting the feed is a splendid idea. That should help.

Some helper you hired. Tell him he's a failure as a chick parent. The word is out. No one will ever hire him to assist with treating a chick again.

Some helper you hired. Tell him he's a failure as a chick parent. The word is out. No one will ever hire him to assist with treating a chick again.
Hahahah Yeah he’s a great man but he’s in denial that you can hurt animals such as goats, pigs, chickens, etc.

Is there a certain amount of time I can leave it out wet or am I okay to leave it until they’ve ate it all? Sorry if this is a dumb question

Check out the posts on fermented feed. Basically, soak the feed with a bit of organic apple cider vinegar with the mother for 3 days. Then feed only as much as the chicks will eat in 15 minutes. Feed them 3-4 times a day while still small. Once a couple months old, just feed a couple times a day. If they get hungry, they can work to find their own feed (worms, bugs, seeds, etc.) Go ahead and feed the wet/soaked feed while your fermented batch is starting. This fermented feed provided pre and probiotics, enzymes, etc. to keep the gut healthy. Hope your little one is doing better on the wet feed!!

Check out the posts on fermented feed. Basically, soak the feed with a bit of organic apple cider vinegar with the mother for 3 days. Then feed only as much as the chicks will eat in 15 minutes. Feed them 3-4 times a day while still small. Once a couple months old, just feed a couple times a day. If they get hungry, they can work to find their own feed (worms, bugs, seeds, etc.) Go ahead and feed the wet/soaked feed while your fermented batch is starting. This fermented feed provided pre and probiotics, enzymes, etc. to keep the gut healthy. Hope your little one is doing better on the wet feed!!
This is a good recipe for FF, but forgot to mention WATER! Cover the dry feed with warm water and then add a bit of ACV with the mother sediment to it to jump start the mix.

Whoops!!! Thanks for the catch! Cover the dry feed with warm water (NOT chlorinated water). Add a blorp of ACV, stir. Check again in an hour and add more water if feed has absorbed everything. The FF (fermented feed) can be made with starter, layer, pellets, ground, or whole grains. My birds go nuts for it, are very healthy, NO WASTE, and nothing on the ground for scavengers to eat so you won't attract rodents or wild birds. My flock scarfs it down in 10 min. or so. If there is a lot left in the feeder after 20 minutes, reduce the amount you're feeding until nothing is left after 15 minutes. Stir every time you dish out food and scrape down the sides of your container. Keep it LOOSELY covered to keep out unwanted visitors. Fermentation creates gas so you don't want a sealed container unless you want to clean feed off the ceiling.... To keep the FF going, just occasionally add more feed, warm water, and stir. The FF thread has a lot more info if you want to read more about it.

Back
Top Bottom