Chick chirps very loudly when I leave room.. and sexing salmon faverolles?

Kelly020492

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 11, 2014
Hey all,

It's my very first time taking care of a chick, I recently bought six eggs and an incubator kept at a constant temperature and increased humidity during the hatching stage, but unfortunately only one egg developed fully into a chick (3 infertile, 1 early quitter, and the other egg I have no clue what happened, possibly infertile!)

My new chick is alone, but luckily I have lots of free time and handle him/her a lot and it seems to trust me and follows me around. The only trouble is, my chick chirps VERY loudly during the night when it can't see me, or when I leave the room, is there any way I can stop this? My brooder consists of a large rabbit cage, filled with wood chips enabling it to walk properly, with a heat lamp at the top ensuring the chick is always warm, the feeder is always full as is the water, and I clean the cage daily! Chick seems happy enough in the brooder if I'm in the room..

I'm currently incubating six silkie eggs and hoping to give the little one a buddy!

My chick is currently about 5 days old and has a little bit of feathering.. is it possible to sex salmons this early?
There's quite a bit of black on the feathers so far.. anyway, here's the little cutie!

!

He/she looks very healthy, but as it is a "loner" that is the reason for all the chirping...she's by herself! Good thing you have the time to spend with it, but it isn't a good thing...she need company. As for sexing? Repost a pic in about 6 weeks.

Have you considered using a feather duster (to simulate a hen's feathery body) and a mirror (to give the chick a reflection buddy in the brooder to provide comfort while you are not in the room?

I've been using a small fluffy blanket, my chick seems to love snuggling up to that! Might try a feather duster though!
As for the mirror, I hadn't thought of that.. will definitely try it and update on his/her progress! Thank you :)

He's very curious about the mirror! I've also added a toilet roll tube into his brooder and he loves running through it, pecking it and then.. he fell asleep in it!
Chicks are such fun :p

I've been using a small fluffy blanket, my chick seems to love snuggling up to that! Might try a feather duster though!
As for the mirror, I hadn't thought of that.. will definitely try it and update on his/her progress! Thank you :)
Can you go to your local feed store and possibly pick up 1 or 2 chicks close in age/size so your little one has some friends? Just thinkin' ....
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom