chick cleaning and temperature question

lowry075

Songster
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
Southern California
Hi, I have read posts about "pasty butt", but I am not sure that is what I am seeing. My chicks get ROCK hard feces stuck to their fluff. I am cleaning it off, but I would like to know what is causing this. The chicks I raised last year, never had this sort of problem. The only difference in what I am doing is this time my feed is totally mashed (it looks like ground up graham cracker), whereas the first time, the feed was in "crumble" form. Do you think this is the issue?
hu.gif

Also, I keep a heat lamp on 24/7, and in my house the thermostat is usaully in the mid seventies. Is this okay? They aren't panting, and if I turn the lamp off, the tiny chick, Cookie, seems cold. She'll just stand there and do nothing.

Yep that would be pasty butt. You could give them some plain yogurt, and that would help it. And yes the lamp should be on. Try to move it so the difference is 5 degrees less every week. the pasty butt will stop before too long. But i have to say one thing.

HOW DARE YOU POST NO PICTURES
somad.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif
tongue.gif

Pasty butt is often believe to be associated with temperature. It is harder for chicks to regulate their temperature in a brooder than with a momma hen. A lot of BYCers like the EcoGlow because it more closely simulates a momma hen than the brooder lamp.

You could get a smaller lamp if you think the one you have is getting things too hot. Smaller heat lamps can be found in the reptile section of pet stores and many of the larger ones will take smaller bulbs.

Pasty butt can be very hard and can be fatal if not cleaned quickly. You can run the chick's bum under gently running warm water or use a damp rag to make the poos a little easier to get off. Once the chick is cleaned and dried, you can use a Q-tip to gently apply olive oil around the vent to help keep the poos from sticking so badly. The pasty butt should clear up in a matter of days.

I agree with the other posters about the temp and the cleaning but I also remember another post about the feed you say you are giving them--if it is mash or wet seems to make pasty butt more of a problem and chick starter pellets do not seem to cause the pasty butt problem as bad. Hope this helps

Thanks for the quick replies. I actually did post pictures under the "pictures and stories " section a few days ago, but these were the ones of the chicks.

84471_205.jpg

84471_208.jpg

84471_213.jpg

The last chick is ADORABLE what is that?

And I agree with the pasty butt. All the previous posters gave you great tips about cleaning it up. And switch feed. I have read too that the mash you are giving them causes more pasty butt than the crumble.

Also I forgot to add--out of 16 chicks I had 3 with pasty butt--first day--than 2 the next than 1 the next--and yes it was the same one...a SLW. That was the first 3 days that I had them home. That will be 3 weeks Fri 6/3. And now that little SLW that had pasty butt for 3 days and "screamed" and chirped is the first one to come running when I come in the room and fly to my shoulder to sleep...LOL I have used Chicken Starter Crumbles Medicated since day one and have not had anymore trouble with pasty butt--since those first days-whatsoever--and also regulated temp (of course) but it was never at 95 degrees like most say--think started around 87-85 degrees. and they all have been fine and growing good.. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom