Chick coloring

r_o_o_s_t_e_r

Chirping
Apr 1, 2021
Hi! i just hatched 5 baby chicks and i have a question about 1-
shes completely healthy, but her mum is a golden comet (red chicken) and her dad is a black crested polish.
the baby- (her name is bean) she is a pale yellow and is growing all white feathers with the occasion of one black one.

im just curious how this happened- as im positive there’s no white genes.

shes completely healthy, but her mum is a golden comet (red chicken) and her dad is a black crested polish.
the baby- (her name is bean) she is a pale yellow and is growing all white feathers with the occasion of one black one.

and because mama is a sex link there IS white genes. that is how it works

Picture would help..

Picture would help..
image.jpg
here she is. :)

RSLs have a dominant white gene that changes black pigment to white but not red pigment. That's why RSLs have white tails instead of black.

The black coloring of the polish is dominant over the red coloring of the RSL. If the RSL didn't contribute a dominant white gene, you would have a black chick.

Since the RSL did contribute a dominant white gene, your chick became white instead of black. The black spots on your chick is because the dominant white gene is "leaky", so some black will show through the white.

RSLs have a dominant white gene that changes black pigment to white but not red pigment. That's why RSLs have white tails instead of black.

The black coloring of the polish is dominant over the red coloring of the RSL. If the RSL didn't contribute a dominant white gene, you would have a black chick.

Since the RSL did contribute a dominant white gene, your chick became white instead of black. The black spots on your chick is because the dominant white gene is "leaky", so some black will show through the white.
thanks! that makes a lot of sense, since all the other chicks are black. :)

Back
Top Bottom