Chick Constantly Shaking Head?

johnsonfarm

Songster
10 Years
Oct 17, 2012
Wisconsin
Three week old silkie mix chick, acting perfectly healthy otherwise , keeps shaking or flicking his head. Just noticed this today, it is almost constant, even if we pick it up and hold it. I've seen similar posts but never an actual answer or outcome.

We lost one from something respitory, lost another one that didn't grow and had chronic pasty butt. The six we have left are doing fantastic so I'm really hoping this head shaking is something we can treat or else nothing to worry about.

I should add, using unmedicated 18% starter, chick grit, and they were getting nutri drench and sav a chick probiotics until about a week ago.

A video might help. Silkies are more prone to neurological issues due to their vaulted skulls. Some birds have odd neurological ticks that don't seem to have a known cause. I have an older roo that gets intermittent head shaking for no known reason. He can go a long time without it happening, and then it will happen several times or over a period of days. It's completely involuntary and comes and goes inexplicably. He's done it since he was about 6 months old, and he's about 6 1/2 now. He eats and drinks fine, all other behaviors are normal. He's never passed anything on to a chick, so doesn't seem to be genetic.

It looks more like something is bothering it, or it thinks it is. You mentioned losing one to something respiratory, so I would watch for any symptoms of that. I wonder if there is something going on with the ears, which might cause the head shaking. With a larger bird you can look into the ear canal to see if there is anything in there, like infection, I've honestly never had to try to look in the ears of one this small. This thread in post #5 has good instructions on dealing with ear infections:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/gunky-ears.630778/
Otherwise, if it's eating and drinking normally, droppings are normal, I'd be inclined to just watch to see if anything else comes up that might help narrow it down.

Back
Top Bottom