Chick Constipated ~ Need Help

Chick M

Hatching
Jan 16, 2016
We have a 1.5 week-old Buff Orpington chick that we got from the feed store that is constipated. She's much smaller than the other chicks we hatched that are only 5 days old. She's pooping now and drinking, but not eating. All she does is sleep. We had to separate her from the other chicks because they were trampling her. I'm worried because it seems like I've tried everything and the buildup in her swollen butt is still there. This is what I've tried so far. I'm hope someone can tell me something else I can try or tell me if I'm doing something wrong. We first cleaned up her vent and applied olive oil so it wouldn't seal up again. She started being more awake after that. She still only drinks if we dip her beak in water. I gave her apple cider vinegar mixed with water. Not sure if it's just supposed to be the ACV plain. I ground oatmeal. She was eating this at first but now she's not eating. She also ate some hard boiled, crumbled egg yolk that I gave her. She wouldn't eat yogurt mixed with feed and also showed no interest in feed mixed with olive oil. I can only get her to drink. Yesterday I tried an olive oil enema. I'm not sure if I used too little, but nothing came of that other than stressing the chick. The olive oil came out, but her bottom is still swollen. I'm not sure what else I can do. She tweets a lot when she's near the other chicks, but it's a constant tweet that she makes with every breath. I hope someone can help. We only have this one Orpingon. The kids are going to be so sad is she dies.

I have had this problem multiple times with chicks, What I did is very similar to what you are doing, what i did is mixed the chicks food with water and I would did her beak in it every once in a while, so that she would drink it, also adding small amounts of sugar to the water will help give them energy and keep them active, the main thing is stay vigilant, and don't give up hope, the chicks that have this problem are often the most docile and friendly when they grow up.

My chicks that had this problem had it for the first few days and then they realized that they like eating and devoured everything in sight, they also really like small bugs like spiders, they will go crazy for them.

We have a 1.5 week-old Buff Orpington chick that we got from the feed store that is constipated. She's much smaller than the other chicks we hatched that are only 5 days old. She's pooping now and drinking, but not eating. All she does is sleep. We had to separate her from the other chicks because they were trampling her. I'm worried because it seems like I've tried everything and the buildup in her swollen butt is still there. This is what I've tried so far. I'm hope someone can tell me something else I can try or tell me if I'm doing something wrong. We first cleaned up her vent and applied olive oil so it wouldn't seal up again. She started being more awake after that. She still only drinks if we dip her beak in water. I gave her apple cider vinegar mixed with water. Not sure if it's just supposed to be the ACV plain. I ground oatmeal. She was eating this at first but now she's not eating. She also ate some hard boiled, crumbled egg yolk that I gave her. She wouldn't eat yogurt mixed with feed and also showed no interest in feed mixed with olive oil. I can only get her to drink. Yesterday I tried an olive oil enema. I'm not sure if I used too little, but nothing came of that other than stressing the chick. The olive oil came out, but her bottom is still swollen. I'm not sure what else I can do. She tweets a lot when she's near the other chicks, but it's a constant tweet that she makes with every breath. I hope someone can help. We only have this one Orpingon. The kids are going to be so sad is she dies.
Do you have pictures of her butt, the brooder set up and her poo?
Is it prolapse or just swollen from constipation?
Have you tried to give her any grit?
Hydration is important so Sugar water as suggested will help give a boost, but if you can get some "sav-a-chick" to put in her water that may help as well.
I would try to stick with chick starter wet down into a mash, scrambled or hard boiled egg for food at this time.
How long has she been constipated? Did she eat any of the bedding?

I would try putting vasoline on her bottom. Just a small amount. If any of the other chicks is less active put one of them in with her. It might encourage her to eat. Keep an eye on them. I hope she makes it.

Back
Top Bottom