chick crumbles substitution???

greytmommy

Songster
8 Years
Mar 26, 2011
Our OEGB just hatched an egg. I went to the feed store to get chickie some chick crumbles.....they dont have any!!! Can I just mash up the regular chicken feed (the layer stuff) and let the chick have it? Do I need to add more protein like cat food or something????

I've had broody raised chicks grow up just fine on layer feed and whatever else they could find while free ranging with mom. The only time I supply chick feed is when I have mail ordered chicks raised in the house! Mother chickens do a good job at finding food their babies need. Around here that includes a variety of plants, small bits of corn, bugs, even peices of frogs and mice from day one.
sickbyc.gif

They are not free ranging (yet). This is our "house chicken" and they are in the house for now. We attempted to transition our OEGB outside before, but then she went broody on us!! lol. We are hoping to transition BOTH of them outside when chick is older.

So since they have limited food options, what can I/ should I supplement with? I have NO problem supplimenting. I can do the scrambled eggs, hamburger, catfood, veggies, ect.... Just want to make sure I dont accidently kill this chick!

Oh yes, scrambled eggs and shredded cheese are a favorite with my chicks! Don't forget to add some grit (sand or really small pebbles will work) so they can digest their treats well. Mine also like a variety of fruits, veggies, rice, oatmeal, etc.

Eggs and yogurt should be fine for now. Try to locate grower, flock raiser, or gamebird, too. It's just higher protein, it'll be fine.

When you can I would get the chick feed. The nutrition for chicks and layers are not the same. I'm sure they would grow up ok but may have problems as they didn't get the proper nutrition when they were younger. This is just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom