Chick days @ Tractor Supply

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mayberry Chicken Shack, Jan 24, 2013.

1. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    My local TSC gets their first shipment this Wednesday! I'm so excited! I have chicks/ducklings coming from Ideal on Thursday. This place is about to be overrun with baby animals!!

2. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    mine is suppose to be getting theirs tomorrow! going to be calling first thing in the morning :D i just lost my favorite hen tonight (she was super sick :'( ) so i think i am in need of some super fluffy things to cuddle...

3. chicken farmer2

chicken farmer2 Chillin' With My Peeps

mine tsc gets their chicks and ducklings on monday the 25th.im going to get 6 chicks and 3 ducks i have my brooder mostly ready its 4x4 and i split it in half one side or ducks and one or chicks . i put the chicks waterer and feeder in the one half for the chicks. idk how to care for baby ducks do you take care of them like baby chicks or i had a friend who got two little dishes they put water in one and a water feed mix which should i do, im planning on getting campbell or swedish

4. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    Raise them like chicks! Only make sure the water is wide enough for the them to get their bill in. But don't let them swim, baby ducks can and will drowned, if you want to watch them swim fill a sink or small container with luke warm water and let them swim about 10-20 mins every once in a while. Don't feed them medicated chick starter, just regular chick started. And be warned you will be cleaning the brooder Alot, ducks are meesy and get everything wet. But they are super fun and can go outside much quicker than chicks :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Go to the duck forum and do some research. Ducklings do have some different care requirements than chicks. Research beforehand. You can browse through the duck forum and see how many people lose ducklings because they are not prepared.
    If you want a specific breed, make sure that you can ID it by looking as many TSC don't mark their duckling breeds and many get assortments. You will likely end up with straight run ducklings so be prepared as you could end up with 2 or 3 drakes. Drakes without enough ducks will try to breed your chickens and it is dangerous or deadly for the chicken. Too many drakes will overbreed a duck and can kill her too.

6. chicken farmer2

im after campbell and or swedish i might end up getting more then 3 i really havet decided and campbell are the only completley brown one at tsc. so i can feed them dry chick feed in a chick feeder, but get a small dish thing for ater

7. chicken farmer2

just bought 10 barred rock chick at tsc today there amazing

8. poachi

poachi New Egg

Feb 16, 2013
    the website says chick days start today[​IMG]

9. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    You are so very lucky with your TS ordering from McMurray! They do the 3 different vaccines for the Marek's if it's ordered. You are 100% right about asking the person who has done the ordering and it is not out of the question to ask for copies of their invoices for the chicks.

10. My guy at TSC knows a lot about chickens, has about 30, gave me advice on building coops, and offered that, if we ever have to move and can't take out chickens, he told me that we can keep out chickens at his place, he aid he'd build the coop for us and everything! He's really nice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by