Chick dead in egg?????

Mnop

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 16, 2014
Santa Clarita, California
Hi all! :frowI need a little help here. I had a broody hen that had a total of 6 eggs under her(laid by 2 maybe 3 different hens). We have no idea :confused:when she began setting on her nest because she was hiding in the yard. They free range and when she didn't go in the coop to roost we thought the worst… we thought she was killed by a predator. We were overjoyed :celebratewhen we saw her one morning in the yard. We watched her and found the hidden nest and then moved her to a private nest(5/25/17). She hatched 2 of the 6 eggs by herself(6/1/17) then abandon the nest 3 days after the chicks were born(6/4/17). I put the remaining 4 eggs in the incubator on 6/4/17 and 3 have hatched. The 1st hatched 6/5/17 the 2nd 6/7/17 and the 3rd 6/8/17. I am wondering when and if the 4th and last egg is going to hatch. I candled it on 5/28/17 and everything looked fine. I candles it this morning(6/11/17) and can see an air sack and some faint veins in the shell. I don't see the egg moving in the incubator or hear any peeping like I did with the others. Since I'm not sure when this egg is supposed to hatch I'm wondering if there is any way for me to know if the chick inside is still alive or if there are any signs I should be looking for beside peeping and egg movement. BTW I have never hatched eggs before either with a broody or with an incubator. This is my first time. I have to thank all the posters on BYC. I wouldn't have been prepared for her to abandon her nest and have had time to get an incubator or have it ready if it weren't for all the research I was able to do on all the different threads. So thank you for all your posts!!!:love

She hatched sometime last night. I put her in with mom and the rest of the chicks this morning. So far so good. Mom accepted her and she looks to be doing well. She just needs to get a little bigger so she can push her way to getting a better spot under mom.

Oh, I love happy endings! Congrats
She hatched sometime last night. I put her in with mom and the rest of the chicks this morning. So far so good. Mom accepted her and she looks to be doing well. She just needs to get a little bigger so she can push her way to getting a better spot under mom.

Back
Top Bottom