1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick dead in shell

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Southwellski, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Southwellski

Southwellski Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2011
    Feltwell, UK
    We just opened it to see if we could help it out but it was already dead. It was perfectly formed and still had a yolk sac slightly larger than it's head attached. There was fluid in the sac. We have had 3 hatch out of a batch of 5. We're opening the other one up too now as it is probably dead also. In fact whilst I was typing this, my husband opened up the other one which is exactly the same.
    Does this information tell you anything that you can tell about why these chicks died? Could I have done something different? [​IMG]

2. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    That usually happens when it was too humid in the incubator and the chicks didn't loose enough weight

3. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    it may look like it was fully formed but if the yolk sac wasn't absorbed that means it prob died a day or two before the expected hatch date. this could be from bacteria, weakness, or humidity/temp problems.

4. riddleluvsrotties

riddleluvsrotties Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2011
    At Home
    I've been reading up on the humidity issue alot lately, I'm no expert but I agree with the previous posts. Humidity might've played a major role in the failure to thrive. Is there any way you can control the humidity in your future clutches? Mustn't totally ignore bacteria threats though. tec27 is a really smart cookie.

5. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi there

It does sound as though the egg did not lose adequate moisture during incubation which has weakened the chicks resulting in late DIS. I am sorry to hear about it [​IMG]

Here's a link to help you to a thread I did earlier which explains this in more detail [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=491013

Also there more links and information on incubation on our website;

http://oakgarthgeese.com

I hope it all helps you and good luck [​IMG]

Pete [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by