Chick deaths :(

My computer is not wanting to cooperate, so I'll have to post some more pics later. The little black one is the teeniest thing. She had the splayed legs but is doing great. The one below didn't make it, but she was adorable.

Attachments

• IMG_5123.JPG
    IMG_5123.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5124.JPG
    IMG_5124.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 11
This seems to be an issue with this hatchery. I have chicks shipped yearly from cackle hatchery and have only lost a few as to be expected. Chickens and chicks die and there is sometimes nothing you can do about it.
Yeah - As someone above pointed out, I didn't realize they were some type of "middle man" getting chicks from everywhere. I am so frustrated and disappointed. I have a fifth that's going downhill right now. And I mean, I have done and tried everything - they all get electrolyte water, tried warm sugar water, scrambled eggs, warmed yogurt, everything. And of course - water and brooder changed multiple times a day, food available, temp monitored, a whole room to themselves that's temp-controlled...I just don't know.

The other ones are fine - running around, cheeping, exploring. It's just really heartbreaking. I would not recommend Chickens for Backyards at all. No more shipping for me in the future, either. This has not been a pleasant experience :(

Yeah - As someone above pointed out, I didn't realize they were some type of "middle man" getting chicks from everywhere. I am so frustrated and disappointed. I have a fifth that's going downhill right now. And I mean, I have done and tried everything - they all get electrolyte water, tried warm sugar water, scrambled eggs, warmed yogurt, everything. And of course - water and brooder changed multiple times a day, food available, temp monitored, a whole room to themselves that's temp-controlled...I just don't know.

The other ones are fine - running around, cheeping, exploring. It's just really heartbreaking. I would not recommend Chickens for Backyards at all. No more shipping for me in the future, either. This has not been a pleasant experience :(

Before you rule out shipping try reputable hatcheries and not a middle man system. Direct shipping to your post office.

Before you rule out shipping try reputable hatcheries and not a middle man system. Direct shipping to your post office.
I did stupid amounts of research preparing for chicks - like, have been preparing for chicks for months. But I did not realize that there were "middle men". I am new to chickens, so I just thought it was a hatchery. I have learned my lesson.

This has honestly been such an awful experience that in the future, I will only get chicks from a local feed store and/or shipped from a local reputable breeder and/or drive to get them. I just can't do this again. It's way too sad :(

I did stupid amounts of research preparing for chicks - like, have been preparing for chicks for months. But I did not realize that there were "middle men". I am new to chickens, so I just thought it was a hatchery. I have learned my lesson.

This has honestly been such an awful experience that in the future, I will only get chicks from a local feed store and/or shipped from a local reputable breeder and/or drive to get them. I just can't do this again. It's way too sad :(
I don’t blame you for feeling the way you do.
It is really sad.
I’ve gotten chicks from feed stores, shipped from hatcheries and from local breeders.
I’ve had deaths in all those circumstances but the majority of the chicks survived and thrived.
I ordered 13 chicks from Meyer hatchery and lost 1 at two weeks.
I lost one of 8 chicks from a feed store at four weeks.
I think there was something wrong internally with both of those though.
The hope you’re able to find some more and that things take a turn for the better.
I use heat plate brooders all the time now and don’t have a problem.
Just make sure they know to go under to get warm.

I'm so sorry you are having trouble.
Can you post some photos of your brooder set up? Give a few from different angles.

It does sounds like shipping stress, but let's just take a look and see if there's any other suggestions that can be made.

Your babies are tiny are they bantams? Have you tried offer wet chick starter, sometimes they have a hard time eating crumbles. Soak a small amount of starter in warm water, let is sit for about 30minutes, mine like it fairly wet. Put it on a small dish. For brooder babies I use a plastic coffee can lid to hold it:)

I've only gotten chicks from Agway (via Mt. Healthy I believe) and local breeders. At least by picking them up at Agway, they deal with chicks that arrive dead and the ones that die or don't thrive 1-2 days later. When I get there to pick mine out I can grab the ones that look most energetic/healthy. It's the same thing with the local breeders. I'm always tempted to have birds shipped to me, but the youngest bird I've lost yet was 6mos and the next youngest a year. So I've been able to get through the chick stage doing it this way.

I had a similar experience but I had picked them up from our local TSC. I bought six bantams that arrived that day and I lost ALL but one. TSC did replace the ones that died within 24 hours (four) and when the last one passed (who was up running/eating/drinking around before) I bought more that were not bantams. Sorry for your loss. It’s the absolute worst. I’m a first time chicken mom and it broke my heart.

I'm so sorry!
I've ordered chicks from MurrayMcMurray and Cackle, and had lovely birds with nearly no deaths. Another time, 10% deaths from a different hatchery, the worst experience we've ever had. I do have some questions though.
How many chicks in your order? Small numbers are a real problem, because they can get chilled sooner.
Did you pick up your birds at the post office immediately when they arrived, and did you have the post office call you?
Pictures of your brooder will help, and did you offer plain water too? Too much heat, or too much salt in the water will both be problems.
I also will sometimes buy from feed store bins, and that's not always a perfect experience either, sadly.
Please don't give up! This is a miserable way to start with chickens, but it will get better, and they are worth it.
Mary

I don’t blame you for feeling the way you do.
It is really sad.
I’ve gotten chicks from feed stores, shipped from hatcheries and from local breeders.
I’ve had deaths in all those circumstances but the majority of the chicks survived and thrived.
I ordered 13 chicks from Meyer hatchery and lost 1 at two weeks.
I lost one of 8 chicks from a feed store at four weeks.
I think there was something wrong internally with both of those though.
The hope you’re able to find some more and that things take a turn for the better.
I use heat plate brooders all the time now and don’t have a problem.
Just make sure they know to go under to get warm.
Thank you! :)

Back
Top Bottom