Chick deaths :(

heathercara

Chirping
Jan 18, 2019
Santa Cruz Mountains
Hi, everyone,

This is my first time ever raising chicks. I picked them up yesterday at 8 am. I thought I did everything - the brooder was warmed up and ready to go, and I have the Brinsea heat plate (warm and functioning well). I put paper towels in the bottom so they can figure out what's food and what's not. I'll switch to pine shavings in 1-3 days. The chicks received electrolytes in their water, and it's changed multiple times per day. They are in a climate-controlled room indoors between 72-74 (I have a temperature gun that I use to take the temps) with windows for light. I have a nice, large brooder with no drafts.

One chick didn't make the trip, a second didn't make the day, another didn't make the night, and one is actively dying right now. I've tried everything - electrolyte water, small bits of warmed yogurt, egg yolk, anything as a last-ditch effort, but I know she won't make it.

I ordered from Chickens from Backyards. They gave me 4 extra chicks, which is good because I've had 4 that have died! Is this normal??? The others are fine, cheeping, out and about, eating, and looking generally healthy.

Is this what happens when you order from a hatchery? I know travel is stressful, but this seems bad - almost 1/3 have died. Is this a bad hatchery? I looked at driving, but for all the breeds that I wanted together, I'd have to drive out of state (would be an overnight trip) which wouldn't work because you need the brooder set-up.

Thoughts? I'm really at a loss. I'm doing okay, but what a bummer! :(

This seems to be an issue with this hatchery. I have chicks shipped yearly from cackle hatchery and have only lost a few as to be expected. Chickens and chicks die and there is sometimes nothing you can do about it.
Yeah - As someone above pointed out, I didn't realize they were some type of "middle man" getting chicks from everywhere. I am so frustrated and disappointed. I have a fifth that's going downhill right now. And I mean, I have done and tried everything - they all get electrolyte water, tried warm sugar water, scrambled eggs, warmed yogurt, everything. And of course - water and brooder changed multiple times a day, food available, temp monitored, a whole room to themselves that's temp-controlled...I just don't know.

The other ones are fine - running around, cheeping, exploring. It's just really heartbreaking. I would not recommend Chickens for Backyards at all. No more shipping for me in the future, either. This has not been a pleasant experience :(

Sorry to hear about the chicks that didn't make it. Did the shipment arrive when it was scheduled to? Either the trip took too long or they weren't packed/handled correctly or were likely not the healthiest chicks to begin with.

I have to admit this is why I buy from the feed store, so they can be the ones to open the box and deal with any losses from shipping.

Sorry to hear about the chicks that didn't make it. Did the shipment arrive when it was scheduled to? Either the trip took too long or they weren't packed/handled correctly or were likely not the healthiest chicks to begin with.

I have to admit this is why I buy from the feed store, so they can be the ones to open the box and deal with any losses from shipping.
Yes - This is my first time, and I have decided my last with shipping. It was Missouri to CA, so I think that was too far. I was shocked upon hearing I'd get the chicks in a box, but everyone said that was normal. I researched hatcheries close by and in CA, and I couldn't find what I wanted. If I have to drive a ways and pick them up that way, I will. I agree - I am going to our absolutely wonderful local feed store Saturday and getting some replacements that have at least made it 24 hours.

No more far shipping for me in the future. Hopefully the ones I have now will be okay! They seem healthy - twittering, eating, drinking, running around.

Ugh. That is never easy or nice. :hugs

Unfortunately, from what I can tell, shipping poultry is risky. I've had orders arrive with all apparently healthy only to have 35% losses over the next few days. It all depends on how far the chicks travel, how smooth the trip is, what time of year it is (temperatures and so on), and how they are handled along the way.

It looks to me like Chickens for Backyards is a factor, a middleman, taking orders and working with hatcheries to fulfill them. That makes it difficult to determine just how far an order is going to travel.

I now order my chicks through a local feed store. They order hundreds of each breed and I believe they come trucked directly from the hatchery, without the connections and on/off-loading episodes that smaller cartons experience. I pick them up a day or so after arrival, and the ones I bring home have been more vigorous than the ones shipped via USPS directly to me. Last year I got 10 meat birds and 12 layers of various breeds. I only lost one meat bird after a week, and another about 3 weeks later. That survival rate made me very happy!

Good luck with your remaining chicks. Got pics? We love chick pics! :jumpy those help us through the waiting period for ours to arrive!
Okay - that makes sense. Well, no more shipping for me. I'm doing okay, but it's so sad! The most recent one died on my lap today (I was keeping her warm with a mama heating pad type thing, just on my lap). I wanted her to not go alone.

I am going to the feed store Saturday to get some replacements. I am learning my lessons! Yes - let me get some pics :)

FYI I also had two with splayed legs. One passed, but I splinted the other one, and she seems to be doing well.

This seems to be an issue with this hatchery. I have chicks shipped yearly from cackle hatchery and have only lost a few as to be expected. Chickens and chicks die and there is sometimes nothing you can do about it.

I'm so sorry you are having trouble.
Can you post some photos of your brooder set up? Give a few from different angles.

It does sounds like shipping stress, but let's just take a look and see if there's any other suggestions that can be made.

Your babies are tiny are they bantams? Have you tried offer wet chick starter, sometimes they have a hard time eating crumbles. Soak a small amount of starter in warm water, let is sit for about 30minutes, mine like it fairly wet. Put it on a small dish. For brooder babies I use a plastic coffee can lid to hold it:)

I'm so sorry you are having trouble.
Can you post some photos of your brooder set up? Give a few from different angles.

It does sounds like shipping stress, but let's just take a look and see if there's any other suggestions that can be made.

Your babies are tiny are they bantams? Have you tried offer wet chick starter, sometimes they have a hard time eating crumbles. Soak a small amount of starter in warm water, let is sit for about 30minutes, mine like it fairly wet. Put it on a small dish. For brooder babies I use a plastic coffee can lid to hold it:)
My last one that wasn't doing too well died :( Now everyone seems to be doing well. FINGERS CROSSED! No more deaths :(

I am sorry for your loss. I never brought from them I have used ideal chicken and never had a problem. You should call or email them letting them know what happened maybe they will give you some kinda refund
Thank you. I did call after the second one died, and she kind of fussed at me - said that I shouldn't be using the Brinsea (I did my research). So...I don't know. They were extremely nice via email but weren't very nice on the phone. I definitely won't use them again.

Back
Top Bottom