Chick died after pip - what went wrong?

Krystelpykie

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2018
Melbourne Australia
Hi all,

i'm new to hatching recently. I have now just finished hatching my third small batch and am quite confused and disappointed with the results thus far.
My Temp is an even 37.6 degrees Celsius throughout
I believe at first i had my humidity too high at 50 - 55% during the first 18 days. Humidity 65-70% for lockdown - 6 out of 9 hatched (1 assisted) and the other 3 died in their shells before the Yolk absorbed and it was quite wet in there.
The second batch i lowered the humidity to 45% for the 18 days and only got 4 of 9 hatch. The other 5 were a mix of underdeveloped, fully formed with yolk absorbed, and fully formed with yolk not absorbed still in shells, all with no pips. They didn't seem overly wet inside when opened.
I can't understand what went wrong here.
The last 2 eggs i incubated i had the humidity at around 40% for the 18 days - 1 hatched on day 20 perfectly with no trouble at all. The other chick just died in its shell about an hour ago (day 21) - it had pipped for around 20 hours and made no progress. I didn't want to open the incubator so trusted that it had a good size air hole and wouldn't suffocate...i checked on it about 1 hour ago and it was rocking the egg alot and chirping away in there, though now i came back to check and there was no movement in there at all, and the chick had moved its beak away from the pip hole and it's body was blocking the hole - thus i decided to check.
I got some moistened paper towel to sit the egg in my hand and took it out of the bator. No movement - so i began chipping carefully at the shell at the AC end from the pip hole, as i chipped further i could see the chick was no longer breathing and had died - fully formed with yolk sac absorbed, blood vessels dried and all. The membrane looked fine to me, not dried out and leathery, but there was also no excess fluid in the either - looked to be a perfectly healthy chick.

Why would this little one die under these circumstances?

I'm looking to do another batch later this week but am quite confused now...just thought i was getting somewhere with learning though now feel really confused!

i calculate this to be a 55% hatch rate - i'm not really impressed with this as an average :(

Any help appreciated.

Things just happen. No rhyme or reason sometimes. Its sad and frustrating I know. Don't get down on yourself. Its not your 'fault'... Maybe there was something internally that couldn't be seen.

Some babies just don't make it unfortunately due to unknown reasons what incubator are you using?

I have 2 incubators - both forced air basic from ebay. i have checked both temp and humidity readouts and calibrated 1 of them that wasn't reading correctly. I use 1 for first 18 days and the other for hatching due to great viability. They are both the plastic kind so i keep them in the Styrofoam they came packed in to help with insulation.

I have 2 incubators - both forced air basic from ebay. i have checked both temp and humidity readouts and calibrated 1 of them that wasn't reading correctly. I use 1 for first 18 days and the other for hatching due to great viability. They are both the plastic kind so i keep them in the Styrofoam they came packed in to help with insulation.
keeping them in the stryo, Maybe their not getting enough oxygen after the pip ?

I thought that too...so i cut holes in the Styrofoam wherever there is a vent hole in the bators. Maybe its still a problem though...
its possible. The room you have the bators in should be at least 70 degrees F. And since you have calibrated your thermometers I dont see a reason for the extra stryo.

Back
Top Bottom