Chick died..clear, yellow mucus/throw up. Other chicks in danger?

stormie000

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2019
Hi all.. I just posted a bit ago asking for help with a 3 week old baby chick who seemed to be gasping for breath. She just died and after she passed had lots of clear/yellowish mucus coming out of her mouth. She also pooped something similar before passing. I’m concerned it could be something contagious that is now going to harm the other chicks. She was absolutely fine yesterday but had been almost gasping for breath earlier today and acting very lethargic. Didn’t seem to have anything stuck in her throat. She’d had small grit available although her crop looked a bit large. She was a black copper maran and the other chicks are the same. Hatched at home. I’m wondering if this could be brooder pneumonia? I’ve posted a picture below of the poop and of the mucus that came out after death as well as a video of how she was acting before passing. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 92F3F36C-3AD8-4BFD-8926-3EFAA6D701FC.jpeg
    92F3F36C-3AD8-4BFD-8926-3EFAA6D701FC.jpeg
    680.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 42B7C083-1794-4CA6-AA52-81A3DF96FADF.jpeg
    42B7C083-1794-4CA6-AA52-81A3DF96FADF.jpeg
    329.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
So sorry for your loss. It is heartbreaking to watch one die. At 3 weeks, coccidiosis might be a problem, but hard to know for sure. There could have been a crop issue as well. A necropsy could be done on her to look for a cause of death on Monday if you contact your state poultry lab. In what state are you located? Here is a list of state poultry vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

You can get Corid (amprollium) at most feed stores in liquid or powder in the cattle medicines. Dosage is 2 tsp (10 ml) per gallon of water for 7 days. It will not harm chicks. You may also tske in some droppings to a vet for a fecal test for coccidiosis.

So sorry for your loss. It is heartbreaking to watch one die. At 3 weeks, coccidiosis might be a problem, but hard to know for sure. There could have been a crop issue as well. A necropsy could be done on her to look for a cause of death on Monday if you contact your state poultry lab. In what state are you located? Here is a list of state poultry vets:

You can get Corid (amprollium) at most feed stores in liquid or powder in the cattle medicines. Dosage is 2 tsp (10 ml) per gallon of water for 7 days. It will not harm chicks. You may also tske in some droppings to a vet for a fecal test for coccidiosis.
Thank you for your reply. I’m in Virginia. Looks like I can have a consultation for free with a vet but any idea on the cost to have a necropsy performed? And should I go ahead and treat the other chicks with the Corid to be safe?

Call your state lab on Monday to get details on cost, and tell them it is for a backyard chicken. In Ohio and California it can be as little as $20-30 for a necropsy, but in some state it can be expensive. Corid costs around $18-25 at feed stores, and it would not harm your chicks to treat them. Symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy, weakness, standing puffed up or hunched, runny poops with mucus or sometimes blood specks, and not eating.

Call your state lab on Monday to get details on cost, and tell them it is for a backyard chicken. In Ohio and California it can be as little as $20-30 for a necropsy, but in some state it can be expensive. Corid costs around $18-25 at feed stores, and it would not harm your chicks to treat them. Symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy, weakness, standing puffed up or hunched, runny poops with mucus or sometimes blood specks, and not eating.
Thank you. I really appreciate your valuable information. I will treat the others in case coccidiosis is the case. Because it was so sudden (went from a normal acting chick to passing only in a few hours) could any respiratory issues be a culprit? Brooder pneumonia or anything else? I ask because she seemed as though she couldn’t breathe before passing. No noises coming out and the mucus out of the mouth. If so, are there any respiratory issues that are contagious to the rest of the flock? Thanks again for all your help.

I just had the same thing happen. Is this contagious? I only had 4 and I'm worried about the remaining 3.

Back
Top Bottom