Chick died, leaving friend alone

Hmmm...... I wonder if the possum killed the bird or was just taking advantage of the carcass. They don't move real fast...I'd guess aerial pred killed bird.
I suppose it could've been an owl but I doubt it. It was pretty dark and they were huddled up in the corner of the fence, behind the possums' tree trunk. I shouldn't have let them out that early but honestly I was more concerned about the known threat of aggressive chickens.

Coco's still hiding away from the other chickens today. Rocky attacked her earlier when she was getting a drink (gravity feeder/waterer are both in the lower level of the coop). It's more than a passing peck, she'll chase her down and corner her if she has the chance.

Possum will be back. Best to keep them locked up for a bit unless you want to try and trap it. The chick is already at the very bottom of the pecking order, so they should leave her alone aside from the drive-by pecking just re-affirming that they're bigger than her. She did lose her friend in human-terms... but in chicken terms she just wants to be around other birds for safety in numbers. So she will fall in. I know it sounds crass, but she doesn't have feelings like "missing" her friend... you do- not her. She will be fine.
I don't know about that. I had a bonded pair (rooster + hen) and one day I decided to get another hen.... well, the two hens wouldn't get along so I caged up the hen that was bonded to my rooster and she was not having any of it, squawking relentlessly and just stressed out. I thought it would subside and that she'll get used to being enclosed at least for awhile but the next morning when I went to check up on her...... she was DEAD! Cold and stiff right by the fence, I presume trying to dig her way out to be with the rooster. She was a perfectly healthy hen, I think she died of a broken heart (heart attack, at least). I felt really bad about it because I knew that she and the rooster were bonded as a pair and should have known that separating her would cause pain. :(

Back
Top Bottom