Chick eating problems!

relos

In the Brooder
May 19, 2017
Dear all,

I have a mix of Polish and Hyline 1 week old chicks, the problem being with the Polish not eating the chick crumb feed and purposely dropping/kicking pine shavings into the water to soften them up and eating them (and occasionally feasting on poo too!). Their poo is coming out half water and a light mushy brown..

However the hyline's are eating machines munching up the chick feed no problem and already way fatter/larger than the Polish ones....should I get rid of the pine shavings and use straw for bedding??

P.S. The polish aren't weak but are the most lively & naughty out of the lot -always jumping on the others aswell as coming/sitting on my hand at every opportunity..

Dear all,

I have a mix of Polish and Hyline 1 week old chicks, the problem being with the Polish not eating the chick crumb feed and purposely dropping/kicking pine shavings into the water to soften them up and eating them (and occasionally feasting on poo too!). Their poo is coming out half water and a light mushy brown..

However the hyline's are eating machines munching up the chick feed no problem and already way fatter/larger than the Polish ones....should I get rid of the pine shavings and use straw for bedding?? Poop and straw don't mix good----so no.

P.S. The polish aren't weak but are the most lively & naughty out of the lot -always jumping on the others aswell as coming/sitting on my hand at every opportunity..
Different breeds of chicks do different things. The Polish have got to be eating if they are acting fine and they are a slimmer/smaller chick than some----so they want eat as much as some breeds. If you have "flake" pine shavings they should be fine, just raise your waterer up on a brick/similar.

As far as runny poop, do you have your brooder properly set-up? Heated to the proper temp just on one end and food and water on the other un-heated end?

Last edited:
@PD-Riverman That's what I thought, but yep got my thermostat/humidity (floor temp 32 C and 50% humidity) reader in there and the heat lamp up one end. The poop itself from the polish isn't runny but one part urine like water and the other 50% normal whereas the Hylines are bog standard normal poo..

@peopleRanimals2 might try that thanks..

I like to the moisten the crumbles for baby chicks....also I made a nipple waterer this time. It's marvelous and the water is always perfectly clean!
Bacteria in water can cause intestinal upset....
Here's a video of a couple of mine at 6 wks using the waterer. You can use it for chicks of any age and make it with various sized containers, small or large. It's an inexpensive and easy DIY project...

Last edited:
@PD-Riverman That's what I thought, but yep got my thermostat/humidity (floor temp 32 C and 50% humidity) reader in there and the heat lamp up one end. The poop itself from the polish isn't runny but one part urine like water and the other 50% normal whereas the Hylines are bog standard normal poo..
What it the temp on the un-heated end where the food and water is? Keep in mind their water for sure needs to stay away from the heat.
It was mentioned to moisten the crumbles-----I never tried that----I have probably brooded over 10,000 chicks in the last 3 years and never wet their feed. If I have really small chicks in a brooder I will grind their feed(chick starter) a little for the first few days so they can eat it easier.

@SueT thanks that's a great idea with the water - also perhaps it could be that the chick crumbs are too large and maybe need more grounding as @PD-Riverman mentioned which I'll give a try :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom