Chick Emergency!!!!!! Please Help!

lockedhearts

It's All About Chicken Math
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Georgia
I got 6 BO chicks, 2 are older. THe 4 smaller do not look or act good, I lost one today, the remaining 3 will not lay down to rest and all seem to be gasping. THey are chirping and singing though. Any ideas???? 2 of the 3 have eyes on one side that seem swollen.

I'm not sure...where did you get the chicks from? I lost two of my bobwhite quail because they hatched late and the others bullied them so bad. Could it be the two older ones causing the major problem?

The older chicks are actually very tolerant, the babies are following hem around like they would mama and hiding under their wings, it is really cute. I got them from an individual , not a hatchery.

I am not sure what is going on with your chicks but I would ask a couple of questions...

What type of bedding are they on?
What is the temp in the brooder area?
Are they drinking water and eating okay?

Quote:
more information is needed, please describe the living conditions such as type of bedding, feed any vitamins or the like that you may have put in their water, weather, heat in the brooder or coop. ect..there is a thread set up in emergences listing that list the info that you need to supply.

here is the link. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3569

boy
everyone got here about the same time.

Last edited:
I don't have a thermometer in it, it is actually a large plastic tote set in my bathtub. This is the same set up I used last year with my 4 girls. I have the light raised about the same as I did for 2 week old chicks.

They are on pine shavings, I am using medicated starter and I have sugar in the water.I can lower the light, but honestly I think it is warm enough.

Back
Top Bottom