CHICK EMERGENCY!! *Update* Still need advice

SuburbSpurs

Chirping
6 Years
A baby chick was hatched today under one of my muscovy ducks, the duck was sitting on it but I think it may have been trampled, he was still wet when I found him I left him for a bit but he was barely moving save a little peeping. I removed him and he is in my room now next to a heat lamp. Its been about 4 hours and he isnt standing, kind of rolling around his legs arent sprawled, but he is not downy at all and he can't walk or stand. I made a little sugar water and dipped his beak in but he wont take it. Im really worried someone help please.

Ok um Im going to try and help keep feeding him water and mashed food using a syringe squirt it gently down his throat a tiny bit at a time so he doesn't choke and rub his chest before and afterwards NOT DURING FEEDING/WATERING! this should stimulate him I would feed him every 2-3 hours but he doesn't need food for the first 2 days anyway but because he is so behind i would feed him! Make sure you keep us updated!

Good luck!

James

hugs.gif
How is it doing today? I woudn't give anymore sugar water, using a tiny bit of honey in the water would be a bit better but too much can cause diarrhea and raise the chances of pasty butt. I give my flock apple cider vinegar "with the mother" in their water, great stuff.

I forgot about acv try some of that and your right appps You do have to be careful Im only 12 but Im doing my junior large animal and poultry vetinary course now and have experience so know how to do it! If in doubt don't use it!

James

As far as I know chicks can survive up to 3 days after coming out of the egg without food or water. I would just let him rest and it'll take an interest in food and water in due time. If something is wrong with it internally, well, then it will probably not survive whatever you do. So I wouldn't force it to eat or drink, and just observe for a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom