Chick Eviction Fears

Hello! I have seven 9.5 week old chicks ready to move from their brooder tent to a pen within our coop to start meeting our 6 month olds. They've been off heat and at house temp (65) for a week.

The coop is insulated. It's our first winter, and I'm so nervous. 30s during the day and low 20s overnight. What do these guys need to safely acclimate? Is there any benefit to keeping them inside until 12 weeks?

Also, we need to process 2 aggressive older cockerels. The young group has 4 boys. Would it go any smoother to move them after the older ones are gone?
Make sure to acclimate them to the abrupt change in temp. They can't go from 65 to 30. Put them out for a time during the day and make sure to check on them to see how they are. You might provide a heater in the coop for a little bit till they acclimate.

Make sure to acclimate them to the abrupt change in temp. They can't go from 65 to 30. Put them out for a time during the day and make sure to check on them to see how they are. You might provide a heater in the coop for a little bit till they acclimate.
Thankfully it's been a good 11 days! They have their brooder plate and are 12 weeks now. I'm thinking it's time to pull the plate?

When I looked at your pictures I thought they were either Aloha or Icelandic chickens. Till you mentioned they were Swedish flower hens.

They do cold temperatures well.

I keep Swedish flower hens also.
I really love them! These are my 1st sno patterned. I also have some 6 month olds in blue and black mille and mottled.

Thankfully it's been a good 11 days! They have their brooder plate and are 12 weeks now. I'm thinking it's time to pull the plate?
They definitely don't need it at this age. Are they still using it? If they are it's possible it's just because they're used to having it. Have you tried turning it off (and leaving it in place) and seeing if that changes their behavior?

Sounds great as long as they've had some time and it's been 11 days. Do you know if they've used the brooder plate? I know my babies stopped using it to stay under at that age when I put them outside. I would check on them later in the evening when I knew they wouldn't try to get out of their coop. It always hurt my heart to see them clamoring to get to me for me to hold them. Ugh... so I would go late and they were always beside it, but not under. I let it for a bit longer just to be sure they were OK because I'm a worrier. I love them all and want them comfortable. Just check on them later to see how their coping qith the cold. If they seem fine, they will be.

I'm a worrier. I love them all and want them comfortable. Just check on them later to see how their coping qith the cold. If they seem fine, they will be.
:hugsDoes your spouse/family make fun of you? I check on them a few times before going to bed, and if I fall asleep I will get up in the middle of the night to check on them. Last night I fell asleep without doing the last 'check' and when I woke up at 2am, I put on boots/coat/hat, and went out to check on them. Yeah, they were fine... But I needed to see that in order to stay in bed until morning. They are 3 yrs old, this is every night since they arrived. :confused:

Might want to get a coop cam!
It isn't far, and I like checking/making noise. I have a lot of raccoons in the woods behind the house. A few weeks ago I came face to face with a baby bear on one of these outings. I backed away fast! One thing you can count on is finding the momma bear close by. I went to the coop and my spouse got the dog into the house.

I got a camera (a Blink) early on, and it never picked up the wifi. The rest of the stuff does(phone, echo dot, etc), I don't recommend that brand.

Back
Top Bottom