Chick eye deformity or injury?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dakunst, Mar 9, 2015.

1. dakunst

dakunst Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2012
    We have some new chicks, about 2-3 weeks old and today I noticed the one keeps her eye shut most of the time. I picked her up and checked her out closely and she did open it. The eye is very small and cloudy. Other than that, she is growing at a normal rate and seems to be doing fine. What do you think, just a deformity? I am leaning towards that, cause I would think if it were pecked at or injured it would probably be swollen, not small. You can see her in the front of the pic.[​IMG]

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    [​IMG] Does your chick's eye look like the one on the right? If so, it is probably Mareks [​IMG]
    Ocular Mareks affects the eye and another form paralyzes them. there is a chance, if the chicks were vaccinated against Mareks that it is a deformity. I REALLY hope it is not Mareks! [​IMG]

3. dakunst

Jun 23, 2012
    It doesn't look exactly like that one, I would say more like an old dog's eye when they have that cloudy cataracts look. And the size is odd too, just small. I'm not even sure if they are vaccinated either. We got them at Tractor Supply. I don't normally get my birds there. I'm going to call and see if they know if they are vaccinated.

4. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Try to find out what hatchery supplies them to TSC. Many hatcheries won't vaccinate for Mareks unless requested and they charge 15 cents per bird. Yo can then look at the hatchery's practices on line or call them. [​IMG] If the people at TCS say "probably" then they probably have no idea.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  5. dakunst

Jun 23, 2012
    Here's the best I could get open. It's so small and sunken. . .like mush. Ugh. . . I knew we should have gotten the chicks where we usually did, but of course my daughter was with us and wanted some that day!
    [​IMG]

6. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    That doesn't look too good. [​IMG] I've been trying to look up stuff on line for you. It could be Mareks, tumors. It could be a vitamin deficiency. It could be a bacterial or viral infection. It could even be a respiratory disease that has spread into the brain and eye. Any of these problems are a threat to the rest of your flock. Unless you know exactly what you are dealing with, the best thing to do is cull that bird. You could try separating it and flushing the eye with saline, packing it with triple antibiotic or Vetricyn (sp?) eye drops or giving antibiotics orally or by injection. Give also, vitamins like A and E in the drinking water. A chicken can survive with one blind eye. ( it might be easier to sneak back to the store and get another bird that looks the same) However, death is a part of life, I know your daughter will not be happy but better one dead than all. [​IMG]

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I am not sure at all but it looks like a birth defect. Chickens can get along with one good eye, but they are a bit more vulnerable to hawks. I have had a hen blind in one eye before (came to us as a shipped chick with a damaged eye) and she got along OK.

*Please note I am only guessing here - here is a link for you:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps031

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  8. dakunst

Jun 23, 2012
    Thanks justplainbatty for the help. I think we're gonna separate her and see what happens. Thanks!

9. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Please update! I hope she makes it! [​IMG]

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I see no reason to isolate this chick unless she is getting picked on. I would leave her with her group and see how she does at adjusting. I agree that it could be a birth defect, and the eye looks like it may have a cataract with the cloudiness. Chickens can get eye disorders from high ammonia levels, vitamin E deficiency, and avian encephalomyelitis. The link that ChickensAreSweet gave you is very good, and this one is as well, but it takes some minutes to download, so be patient: http://www.joneshamiltonag.com/jh/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/PLT_Poultry-Eye-Disorders.pdf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by