Chick Falls on Side

IvysAnimals

Songster
Mar 30, 2022
Pennsylvania
Hello! I had some chickens I was hatching and 13 hatched, waiting on #14. They started hatching on Saturday - April 9, 2022. They started to hatch around 11-1:00 PM. When I got home after getting groceries, I saw that Two had hatched. The first one was fine and healthy. The second one was acting odd, It was #33. He wasn't getting up immediately or soon after at all, he was just kind of shaking his legs. The humidity and temp was good so that's why I'm a little more confused. I know they can have diseases / spraddle legs / crooked toes / encephalomalacia / weak neck / genetics / and Mareks / or just simply the young age
After a day had passed I took the couple that had hatched out and put them in the brooder. The one was still acting weird and not getting up. Yesterday, I checked on the chick to make sure he was doing okay. The chick was on its side and I tried propping itself on his legs. He tried to walk but he wobbled a little and fell on his side. He liked the water I gave him but he would fall on his side or back and fall asleep if he didn't get any help. I tried not having him be dependent on me but I'd lift him up and making him walk a little more. He started to get better but them he'd just lay down to sleep and fall on his side, especially if one of the other chicks would bump into him. I do know 100% that he doesn't have spraddled legs. Would splinting the legs help? In the picture he's by the water dish near the black Maran. The parents of all of them are Rhode Island Red, 1 Black Maran, and the rooster is a Rhode Island White or Possible a Leghorn. I see some unique mixes ( EX: I had 3 black Maran eggs and only 2 fully black chicks with one chick being all white with two black spots ) In the picture he is the chick by the water dish ( Right side ) and on his side near a light chick and the black chick. Please Do not respond if you're going to say rude things, thanks!

*UPDATE*
I figured out why he was falling over, his one wing is drooping to his side that he falls on. I tried taping it up and it worked and helped him a little but he just fell over again and it came off... What should I do?

20220410_080200.jpg

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what kind of, 'rude things' do you think people are going to say?
it could be a tendon issue or a vitamin deficiency, or something neurological. Have you tried some yolk water?

Back
Top Bottom