chick Feed and switching bator questions

willow_lane

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 19, 2009
Pennsylvania
Could someone recommend where I can buy feed (mash??) for baby quail and pheasants?

I was also wondering if it would harm development to move eggs into a different incubator after incubation has started?

Lastly how large of a pen would be sufficient to keep 2 bob white quail? How about 4 Coturnix Quail?

Thanks

Last edited:
Quote:
If you get the different incubator up to heat and stable then you can move eggs. I'm not sure about pheasants cause I"ve never hatched them...but the quail can be out of the incubator for a few minutes without harming them, IMO.

Do you have any neighbours who keep birds? You should ask around for your local feed store or TSC.

Gamebird Starter Feed--- The Higher The Protien The Better (imo) I Feed Purina Startrena 30% I See The Ads Here Showing That Tsc Is Now Carrying The Purina Poultry Feeds--- Try Them. Also Call Your Local Feed Stores, Many Will Sell Smaller Portions--- Say Like 5lb Bags? As Far As Mash All You Do Is Add Water And Let It Soak In--- And Once It Does Your Mash Is Ready!

Switching Bators Is No Problem So Long As The Recieving Bator Is Stable In Temp And Humidity...

Pen Sizes For Quail.... Well For A Pair (m/f) Of Bobs They Will Usually Do Ok In Smaller Space, Say 2x2 Cage. As Will 4 Coturnix Provided The Mix Is M/f/f/f...

Caveat--- Bobs Are Mean Evil Lil Birds.... So Mean That Many Times They Dont Even Like Themselves! These Are The Junkyard Dogs Of The Quail World---- They Can Be Incredibly Agressive Toward Each Other At Times For Lil Or No Reason We Can See--- So Having Said This I Do Recommend Frequent Observation Of A Pair In Smaller Pens. The Male Will Kill Females At Any Time Of Year! It Seems The 1st Yr Of Life Is The Worst For Agression Toward Other Birds, They Tend To Mellow And Calm Toward Each Other With Age---- Unless Its 2 Males--- Then Its Game On!

Back
Top Bottom