Chick feed question

Im not sure on how the feeds differ...but each feed is made specifically for the needs of that animal. If they had a little of it or thats all you had for them now im sure its ok. Not sure what you are asking, do you want to mix it?

I was considering having them in the same brooder to help the turkey get used to chicks, but I know turkeys need a higher protein feed (at least that's what I'm told, some people say they can eat the current chick starter fine{it's 20%}). I can't be at home all the time, when I am I'm watching over the chicks and wanted the turkey to stay with them because they are the same age, at least for a little, then it will go with some slightly older birds in the same room until it's big enough to brave the pens.

I was just worried if they could eat the same food or if I need to have it with separate feed.

Don't know if it's accurate or not, but I have heard that the turkey/ game bird starter with the higher protein is too much for baby chicks, and could have adverse effects on their livers?

I had a bad experience doing that. I had sent my husband to get chick starter at the feed store and the guy sold him game bird starter by mistake. I didn't notice until the chicks started dying. I lost half of the flock before I checked the bag. Once I got them on regular chick starter I didn't lose any more. I wouldn't chance it if I were you!

Sherry in GA

Okay, I wont give them a higher protein feed. I don't want the ones we have to go.

Anyone know if turkeys can eat to 20% that we give, or do I need to give it the higher protein? I'm not raising it for meat, just a lawn ornament, possibly show bird if it's of good quality. I want to keep it with the other birds, just the brooder is to small to be divided, maybe I can rig up a couple rubbermaids with wire siding so that they can see each other though. I'm wanting the turkey to get friendly with chickens because it will go in a coop right next to the chickens at night and also free range with them.

I've never had any trouble with my chicks eating 28% gamebird starter. I don't think I'd keep them on it indefinitely, but then turkeys don't need it indefinitely either.

Blackhead does not occur in all areas. Some folks have considerable trouble with it while others in a different area can go all their lives and never see it. Your best bet is to contact your extension folks and ask if it occurs in your area.

.....Alan.

Back
Top Bottom