Chick feeding ?'s

Eggie and Me

Songster
10 Years
Mar 9, 2009
Southern California
We have 4 RIR and 3 BR, our first ever chicks.
jumpy.gif
I fell in love instantly!!
wee.gif
Anywho, on to the ? At what age is it best to start introducing foods other than their feed? AND when can they start eating grit and other foods.. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON READING MATERIALS ALONG THIS LINE WOULD BE GREAT TOO.... Ours are 8 days old.... I gave them oatmeal on my fingers after dipping them in water and they went absolutely crazy...
ya.gif
clap.gif

Thanks All
thumbsup.gif

You are going to get mixed answers. I started feeding little bit of stuff after a week. I also offer a free choice of a blend of parakeet grit, granite grit, and sandy soil.

Whenever you do decide to give yummies, be sure to offer grit.

when mine are about a week old i start mixing some yogurt with some of their crumbles. after they realize that it's not gonna eat them they go crazy over it. Also you can add a little grit to the mix to get them started. Have fun.

I started adding a bit of plain unsweetened yogurt and other treats to the brooder at about 1 week old. Mine are 3 weeks old and I was wondering about cottage cheese? I know they like plain yogurt, but is the cottage cheese too much salt for the little buggers? Mine have free choice grit and have enjoyed a couple of slugs and earthworms (yes, I KNOW the controversy--see other threads for that) as well as some crickets. Not interested in chopped up green yet. Feeding medicated starter as the primary source of all... other stuff is just for treats.
ed

we offered grit for a few days when they were two weeks old (mixed with cornmeal and chick crumbles), then tried little meal worms and some greens and they were loving it. seems like everyone has a different opinion on when and what, but ours are doing very well.

Back
Top Bottom