chick found chilled under substrate help

BantamBonzo

Songster
May 14, 2016
Brunswick GA
1 week old Brahma chick found under the substrate in my broader. Lethargic, chilled. Freaked my ither half out because I immediatly put him tween my boobs ( tmi) and got a cup of water and a q-tip. I was able to get it to swallow a couple drops of water and put it in my incubator to get warm. Fluff is opening eyes and occasionally chirrping now. Is there more I can do to save it?

Electrolytes (1 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 pinch salt, 2 qts water) is probably better than regular water for restoring vitality; just don't force him to drink.

Hope he does well; I've had that happen a time or two, and they recovered fine.

NB: Bra incubation is a thing. I was doing it this morning with a pipped egg that had been abandoned in the nest. You work with what you've got. (Used to disturb my brothers, though.)

He did try to stand and I was able to get some sugared water in him. He is in my incubator to bring his temp up

Attachments

• 20180617_211146.jpg
    20180617_211146.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 12
After getting that elecrlyte mix in him I put him in a critter keeper I have and put him back in the brooder. He seems to be bouncing back but is still weak. I moved my older chicks to my mid range broader ( "infant" brooder is a 55 gallon long tank, mid range is a rabbit cage on the covered front porch) he has already hopped out of the keeper once and headed straight for the food and water, but as he gets joslted by his hatch mates he has a hard time getting up right away and gets mobbed. May put a partition in for the night for him to recover more.

Attachments

• 20180617_220410.jpg
    20180617_220410.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 9
  • 20180617_223152.jpg
    20180617_223152.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180617_223203~2.jpg
    20180617_223203~2.jpg
    653.6 KB · Views: 8
I had one get her little foot caught on the frame of my heating pad thing. She was so exhausted from trying to get out that she didn’t make it. All the advice you guys have here I’ll remember for next time , plan for the best but be prepared for the worst

I had one get her little foot caught on the frame of my heating pad thing. She was so exhausted from trying to get out that she didn’t make it. All the advice you guys have here I’ll remember for next time , plan for the best but be prepared for the worst

That's what I was afraid of with this little guy so did the boob trick until he started chirping stronger and got him back into the brooder under the light.
I'm sorry for the loss of your little one

Back
Top Bottom