Chick from large breed asst pullets at feed store?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by greenmagick, Apr 4, 2009.

1. greenmagick

greenmagick New Egg

May 26, 2008
    St. Louis, MO
    This chick is from a large breed assortment at my local feedstore. I am not sure where they get their chicks from. They are now almost three weeks old and this chick is definitely smaller than the australorp, orpinton, and wyandotte that I got at the same time. It has feathered yellow legs with 4 toes....what is it?

Thanks for looking!!

[​IMG]

2. laurenlulu

laurenlulu Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    ?? I have no experience other than the chicks I have, but to me it looks just like my bantam brahmas.

3. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I'm thinking Cochin. Possibly a bantam cochin and not a standard size one.

4. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Yep, looks like a partridge cochin.

5. greenmagick

greenmagick New Egg

May 26, 2008
    St. Louis, MO
    Thanks for looking:)

Quote:Thats what my guess was... Are standard cochins slower growers than others? I had wondered if this was a bantam, but at 2 days old, she was just a smidge smaller and now, is about 2/3 of the size of the others but she also seems less further along....the others all have pretty many feathers and have hit the gangly teen stage where she still looks like a chick.

6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Partridge cochin is my guess.

7. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Quote:Thats what my guess was... Are standard cochins slower growers than others? I had wondered if this was a bantam, but at 2 days old, she was just a smidge smaller and now, is about 2/3 of the size of the others but she also seems less further along....the others all have pretty many feathers and have hit the gangly teen stage where she still looks like a chick.

I had 2 standards in the past. They took what seemed like forever to grow.

8. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I bought 5 from Rural King on Valentines Day and they each grew/are growing at different paces.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by