Chick from local breeder umbilical problem?

Ranchwithaview

Songster
Dec 30, 2018
20190414_201049.jpg
20190416_121316.jpg
20190416_120301.jpg
We got a newborn chick on Sunday evening from a local breeder. It looked like it had unabsorbed egg that dried (first pic). Then today the dried part started to come off. I knew to keep an eye on it. I heard loud chirping and found a lot of yellow goo (yolk?). Pics of chick (sorry it's blurry) now and also yellow goo. What should I do for it?

We made sure it drank fluids. I put antibiotic ointment on the wound and covered with very wrap. The chick seems very uncomfortable.

This looks like omphalitis (infected navel). Most chicks will die within 48 hours of symptoms of this, but you might be able to keep it going long enough for antibiotics to kick in if you can keep it eating and drinking.

This looks like omphalitis (infected navel). Most chicks will die within 48 hours of symptoms of this, but you might be able to keep it going long enough for antibiotics to kick in if you can keep it eating and drinking.
:( Thank you. Do you think most breeders and chick sellers would replace the chick if it dies?

Update. The chick took a turn for the worse today. It was still fighting, but no longer interested in eating or drinking. I called the breeder. She was apologetic, and offered to exchange. On the way, the chick perked up a little, drank a little, but we decided to still exchange it.

Update. The chick took a turn for the worse today. It was still fighting, but no longer interested in eating or drinking. I called the breeder. She was apologetic, and offered to exchange. On the way, the chick perked up a little, drank a little, but we decided to still exchange it.

Probably a good call, you don't want to be constantly battling a health issue in a young chick from day one, they're fragile enough as it is.

Back
Top Bottom