Chick "gasping" for air? *Little Cheeto is gone :(*

Shadowhills Farm

Songster
12 Years
Nov 14, 2009
DuPont, Washington
We went to TSC today and they finally had chicks. There was another customer at the troughs looking at the chicks, and pointed out a little red cochin. She told us he wasn't doing too well, laying flat out on his stomach, eyes closed, breathing fast, and getting picked/stepped on by the other chicks in the trough.

I took him out of the trough and he picked up peeping and opened his eyes. Though he was ok, put him in the trough. He had a spurt of energy, ran, and then plopped down.

Seeing how the other customer was concerned, we decided to ask the cashier if we could have the little cochin for free. She said yes, as they had some chicks die yesterday.

I got him home, and made him drink some sugar water.....

He doesn't want to drink on his own, or eat. So I mixed some feed (powdered) with the sugar water/vitamins and electrolytes and made him drink some.... After he drinks, he swallows and then "gasps" for air....

He's very lethargic, laying flat out on his stomach sleeping. Breathing is back to normal. He is sleeping in a box by himself (as the others peck him) under the heat lamp.

I am hoping this little (very little) guy pulls through, but I think he has slim chances. I wanted to do the best I can to make sure his life is a good one.

Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks

Last edited:
I had one just like that and she died! Afterwards I read on here that some people suggest snuggling them nice and warm in your shirt! I KNOW sounds nuts but I sooo wish I would have read that sooner...I would have totally given it a try! I guess the logic behind it is that some chicks kinda get "failure to thrive" b/c of the stress of being hatched at a hatchery then shipping then new enviroment andno Mama Hen to give them any sense of security. For some it's just too much stress and they don't make it. A little snuggle time works wonders! So I've heard anyway;)

Right now he is in my shirt, im under the covers and have a jacket on to try and raise my body temperature a little for him as he is getting cold
sad.png

We put him with the other chicks and he gave it his all to peep peep peep! But the other chicks climbed on him and pecked him.

I have been giving him water, but I'm not too sure about him. He is still gasping for air and making popping noises while doing it.

His crop was sorta hard, so I did a little massage for it.

I will do whatever it takes to let him be comfortable.

Thanks for your replies.

I gave my girl 2small drops of olive oil. It can't hurt she isn't going to make it otherwise. I would try small amt of oil. Very small amt. 1-2 very small drops

We did do olive oil earlier, should I do it again?

We made a mash with grower and vitamins/electrolytes and gave him 5 drops at 9:30pm. He has been chirping and peeping in my shirt. I did have to change my shirt, and he had a fit about not being in my shirt:)

I will be feeding him every 2 hours during the night, and I will be giving him the sugar water to drink as well.

Right now he is sleeping, the popping noise is still there, but not as loud as before.

He seems comfortable for now, which is my goal. If he gets through the night, that would be amazing and I am hoping he does. If he doesn't, I will know I tried my best to keep him comfortable.

When I got my first set of chicks, I had two who had a hard time and I can't say yours is the same. What I did was gave them yogurt w/ an eyedropper. Remember they're babies so just a couple of drops. Give them their own water and feed and put them by themselves in the dark. I put mine in a card board box. The room they are in here is 80* most of the time. You can put a hot water bottle in the box. Or fill a detergent bottle and put that in. Sometimes they just need to get some rest and sleep w/o getting run over all the time. A few days of this may help. It's not easy to sleep w/ a light on over your head. Under a broody hen it's not exactly daylight. I have a broody and her chicks weren't seen for at least a week. Hope all goes well. Keep him eating and pooping. Pooping is a good sign. If you have a chick that's stressed put them in a warm dark place and let them get some sleep. After a couple of days mine were fine and went back in the brooder.

All the best

Rancher

Quote:
Thanks- he's just 1 or 2 days old. I am guessing he is stressed out because of the shipping to the TSC, and then the other chicks being bigger than him and stepping on him.

He is not drinking or eating on his own right now. He has been in my shirt and under a jacket zipped up to keep warm.

I will add the yogurt to his mush feed, though.

Back
Top Bottom