1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chick got attacked unknown attacker

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by slordaz, Jul 25, 2016.

1. slordaz

slordaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    [​IMG]

3 1/2 month old got attacked on back of neck, this was after cleaning with hydrogen peroxide, it's sitting with me alert drinking a little but shaking a little, no blue kote available in area. what else should be doing?

got some triple antbiotic without pain, but it dont wanna let me do more right now than hold wrapped in a towel, they are inside the house where wont get chilled or picked on

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you have iodine or betadine? That can be used to disinfect and hide the wound. The ointment can then be applied over it. Do you have a rooster or older hens who could have pecked her? Feed her a bit of egg, and some feed with water added to get her to eat and more fluids into her. If you can place her in a cage with food and water inside the coop or run after a day or two inside, she won't be away from the flock long enough to have to re-introduce her.

3. slordaz

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    got some betadine solution, and a cat carrier she will fit into

they\ve been in with the main flovk for a month now with out ant isses, but di have 2 roosters and 2 broodies, rooster took off after feral cat too

she\s standing up and complaing and pruning, a little harder to hid injury with here as she looks buff orpington but all white

4. slordaz

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    Betadine and triple applied, she's now in cage and eating plain scrambled egg and talking to the 2 month olds that are here cause to small to put in with main flock yet

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sounds like you have things under control. I hope she recovers well. Feathers usually grow back from a similar injury in a month or so.

6. slordaz

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    she is calm and stopped shaking finally, the 2 month olds escaped their cage to go see her though lol, think i will keep her here in the cage as was pretty bad injury , she's being quite friendl to the little ones here and they will be ready to be introduced about time to reintro her to the flock

Thanks for the help

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome, and please give us an update later when she has had time to recover.

8. slordaz

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    so far so good, was worse than what it looked like, but it's slowly healing, she's isolated but can talk to the 2 younger ones that can't be introduced just yet. but on the mend without infection

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by