Chick got lick lots by dog

How can I keep it fed and hydrated?
We had a weak chick after shipping. Put a Tbsp or 2 of very hot tap water in a small bowl and add 1/2 tsp of sugar. Stir until dissolved then add a pasturized egg yolk to the sugar water and stir again. Using a dropper, slowly drop the liquid at the side of the beak and watch for the chick to start "eating." It will take time... 4 days for our chick to bounce back. You will also want to give your chick 1 drop of Poultry Nutri-Drench directly, once a day for a week. Hope this helps :)

We had a weak chick after shipping. Put a Tbsp or 2 of very hot tap water in a small bowl and add 1/2 tsp of sugar. Stir until dissolved then add a pasturized egg yolk to the sugar water and stir again. Using a dropper, slowly drop the liquid at the side of the beak and watch for the chick to start "eating." It will take time... 4 days for our chick to bounce back. You will also want to give your chick 1 drop of Poultry Nutri-Drench directly, once a day for a week. Hope this helps :)
To warm the chick you can wrap it in a hand howl and place it on a heating pad.

The others have covered the basics of treating for shock and hypothermia.

To review:
1. Hypothermia - warm and dry the chick as quickly as possible.
2. Shock - Warm sugar water, a pinch of salt and baking soda
3. Check for wounds.
4. Feed egg yolk or soft boiled egg.

We have an excellent team here. Hope your chick recovers okay.

The others have covered the basics of treating for shock and hypothermia.

To review:
1. Hypothermia - warm and dry the chick as quickly as possible.
2. Shock - Warm sugar water, a pinch of salt and baking soda
3. Check for wounds.
4. Feed egg yolk or soft boiled egg.

We have an excellent team here. Hope your chick recovers okay.
i hope too! shes been doing great! she stood up at some times and our dogs wouldnt hurt a fly! they would lick on tho... lol

That's wonderful!!! Hopefully her improvement continues. I find it comforting that the chick is already standing and even walking around some. I'm sure it's probably exhausted because it doesn't know that your dog is gentle. I imagine that it felt like it was going to die at that very moment > enter shock. Sounds like you're doing a wonderful job in taking care of the chick. Shock is tough on the body, even as humans. Since the chick is acting normal, it should be safe to offer some fluids >lukewarm water/sugar water/etc. Once it's had something to drink, you can offer something to eat. Egg is delicious and I don't know a chicken that refuses it. My flock prefers boiled eggs but will settle for scrambled. Maybe a lukewarm mash (regular feed moistened with lukewarm water) will also be a welcomed treat. Just keep an eye on your little one and check her over really well for any accidental injuries.

P. S.
Even the most gentle dog can accidentally cause injuries without meaning to. It's very stressful for the chick since it's still so young and doesn't understand that dog meant no harm.

I wish you the very best

That's wonderful!!! Hopefully her improvement continues. I find it comforting that the chick is already standing and even walking around some. I'm sure it's probably exhausted because it doesn't know that your dog is gentle. I imagine that it felt like it was going to die at that very moment > enter shock. Sounds like you're doing a wonderful job in taking care of the chick. Shock is tough on the body, even as humans. Since the chick is acting normal, it should be safe to offer some fluids >lukewarm water/sugar water/etc. Once it's had something to drink, you can offer something to eat. Egg is delicious and I don't know a chicken that refuses it. My flock prefers boiled eggs but will settle for scrambled. Maybe a lukewarm mash (regular feed moistened with lukewarm water) will also be a welcomed treat. Just keep an eye on your little one and check her over really well for any accidental injuries.

P. S.
Even the most gentle dog can accidentally cause injuries without meaning to. It's very stressful for the chick since it's still so young and doesn't understand that dog meant no harm.

I wish you the very best
thanks! i offerd scrambled eggs this morning but my chicks rejected them... my dogs are used to haveing birds fly not run on the ground so they didnt know how to act tuards the chick. i have a small bowl of water ready for if she desides to walk then a small bowl of food

thanks! i offerd scrambled eggs this morning but my chicks rejected them... my dogs are used to haveing birds fly not run on the ground so they didnt know how to act tuards the chick. i have a small bowl of water ready for if she desides to walk then a small bowl of food
Since she just went through this, it might be a good idea to place some rocks or something inside the bowl just in case she falls in and becomes too weak to escape. I apologize but my mind always has a tendency to think about the worst case scenario. Please bare with me. I hope you'll keep us updated on her progress

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom