Chick Grit and Dust Bath

Tobster11

In the Brooder
May 22, 2019
Newbie here. My chicks are about a week old and I was going to provide them some chick grit in about a week so I can start giving them a few treats here and there. They are currently on medicated chick starter/grower. Should I provide that separately or should I just let them dust bathe in it and eat as well? If it need to be separate what sand can I use? Thanks!!!

Sand for dust bathing (I've read it should be construction sand, as play sand is too dusty) is different from chick grit. They will probably ingest some sand, but buy them some chick grit. It's as cheap as dirt (hah!) and the right size for their crops so they can safely eat grass, bugs, or (like mine) pine shavings!
Thanks a ton!

A treat I gave my chicks comes with a trick to help with their future health (a tip I learned here) was to give them a small clump of grass, roots and dirt included. The grass is the treat, the dirt provides grit AND exposes them to the local bacteria both to aid digestion and help them build immunity to the local strains of bacteria they will be living with.

I learned that here, too, and I do it. My big girls have graduated to a big chunk of sod, since we've been doing some digging for the hardware cloth apron on the coop! They get up on it, pull blades of grass, poke at the dirt, and hunt for bugs.

I love the idea of building immunity to coccidiosis, since I've read that it's everywhere, and they can "vaccinate" themselves by ingesting little bits first, before they go out there to live.

If you’re going to use sand, please use natural, coarse, washed, river sand. Don’t use play sand or construction sand. Play sand is way too fine and construction sand is crushed rock - and very dusty. So if you still have the chicks in the house, it will be a mess you’ll be cleaning up for a long, long time! The sand should look like this:

36082226-9346-4942-A06B-0F305995DFFA.jpeg

The nice thing about sand is, you won’t need to provide grit. I use it in my coop and run!

A treat I gave my chicks comes with a trick to help with their future health (a tip I learned here) was to give them a small clump of grass, roots and dirt included. The grass is the treat, the dirt provides grit AND exposes them to the local bacteria both to aid digestion and help them build immunity to the local strains of bacteria they will be living with.
Thanks to all for the great info. I will try the sod next week!

Back
Top Bottom