Chick grit information - conflicting threads.

handsomecock

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 9, 2013
Brooklyn, NY, USA
I see a lot of conflicting threads on here on many topics. I know there is more than one way to do things because everybody is different.

That being said I have 2 week old chicks. In a make shift plastic tub brooder in my bedroom. With a 60w plant light currently maintained at 85 degrees. Pine shavings as bedding. On unmedicated chick feed. They seem healthy and happy.

Now I read that they only need grit if they are eating things that need to be broken down. I understand the whole crop concept because I have a 13 year old Blue Front Amazon as well. I had purchased a bag of chick grit, but was just wondering when I should introduce them to it. I plan on having the outdoor coop ready by their 6th week. That should be up sometime in October. I plan on using vinyl floor w pine shavings in the coop as well as pine shavings in the nesting boxes. For the run I am thinking about some dirt, DE, and coarse sand w pea gravel mix. I live in Brooklyn, NY so the weather will be getting slightly cooler by then. I've read they'll naturally pick up any such natural grit from the run, but I was wondering if maybe I should give'em a lil days prior to re-locations. Thoughts?

Chicks don't need grit unless they eat things other than chick starter/grower, for example when you give them treats like mealworms, greens, cracked corn etc. Once they are outside they should be able to get enough roughage from the soil not to need supplemented grit. I've only ever given my chickens grit while they were inside in a brooder as chicks and once they've outgrown the brooder they free ranged. I haven't had crop issues yet (touch wood).

Sumi is correct that they do not need grit if exposed to dirt/sand as they will pick their own up. It is cheap however and they seem to like it. My local feed store basically cuts the price in half if you buy 10 lbs. That's only a small sack of it as granite is pretty heavy. In fact only offer them a small amount the first few times as they consume quiet a bit figuring out it's not food.

Back
Top Bottom