Chick Grit vs Adult Grit

koalachick

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2022
I have nine chickens ranging in age from 10 to 14 weeks old. They are still on starter feed. I am going to start giving them treats and some greens. The guy at the farm supply store said I should give them chick grit. The chick grit pieces are pretty fine. My chickens devoured what I put out. After giving it to them, I read online that chicks older than 8 weeks should have adult grit. My questions are: Will it be ok to continue with the chick grit until the bag is gone? Or, will the smaller pieces just go through my 10 to 14 week old chicks not helping them to process the treats and greens?

I’ve heard mixed reviews on that. One gentleman that has 60 chickens told me that he tends to still feed his adult chickens chick grit because trying to feed them adult grit he hast to end up smashing it down anyway because they won’t eat the big rocks. So that chick grit was actually a better way to go long-term. But I myself being a newer chicken owner as well I’m not 100% sure on that. I would be interested to see what others on the form have to say. Thanks for asking the question and I hope we get some answers.

I’ve heard mixed reviews on that. One gentleman that has 60 chickens told me that he tends to still feed his adult chickens chick grit because trying to feed them adult grit he hast to end up smashing it down anyway because they won’t eat the big rocks. So that chick grit was actually a better way to go long-term. But I myself being a newer chicken owner as well I’m not 100% sure on that. I would be interested to see what others on the form have to say. Thanks for asking the question and I hope we get some answers.
Thanks. I hope we get more replies. Also, I love your user name.

I'd go with the adult grit, they are plenty big enough for it, assuming you don't have tiny Seramas. I think that the adult grit is on the small side as it is.
Put it out in a separate feeder for them, and spread some along the edge of their run, so they can dig for it too.
Mary

Last edited:
Will it be ok to continue with the chick grit until the bag is gone?
Grit does not spoil.
So you could save the chick grit to use sometime in the future, when you are raising small chicks, and buy some larger grit for the current chickens.

Eating grit that is too small will not hurt the chickens, but it may just go right through their body without doing any good either.

I would probably buy them some bigger grit, put out both sizes, and watch what they actually choose to eat.

Posts #5 - #7 :thumbsup

I feed chick grit to chicks and my Serama. It's won't spoil so you could keep the remainder for your next set of chicks or mix with the adult size, they'll pick/scratch for what they want ... Have done that until I got my Serama, so she shares with any chicks.

I'm curious too.
Right now, we're feeding both sizes to 3-4 month olds and both are disappearing. I can't tell if they're scooping it out as a game or if they're actually eating copious quantities of both sizes. It's sandy so anything like that would be hard to find.

Back
Top Bottom