chick grit

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gemma24, Apr 19, 2017.

1. gemma24

gemma24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2016
    CA
    I don't have any chick grit, but I do have some oyster shells for my hens. do you think I could grind up oyster shells for the chicks? I would love to give them treats but don't have chick grit...I could also let them eat some tiny rocks from my yard when I bring them outside.

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    No...oyster shell is not grit. It provides calcium for good strong egg shells.

If you can bring them outside ...great...they will find small rocks and dirt that will help them.
    Can you dig up a smallish scoop of "dirt" from your yard...put it in a cake pan or shoe box and add it to their brooder?

3. gemma24

gemma24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2016
    CA
    ok, I will do that. thanks!

4. MigraineMan

MigraineMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2017
    Frederick, Maryland
    We've got dandelions everywhere. I usually dig one up with a small spade and drop the whole thing into the brooder - dirt clods and all. In addition to munching the dirt/grit, they get to play "king of the hill."

I screwed a 1" PVC end-cap to the wall of our brooders to provide grit. It's up off the floor so my dunderheads can't immediately tip it over (which was the problem with the coffee can lid.) It's also small enough that they can't perch on it and fill it with poo.

5. MigraineMan

MigraineMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2017
    Frederick, Maryland
    Here's a photo. The cap is held to the wall with a short drywall screw.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by