Chick grit

Annaafranqueza

Songster
Jun 30, 2019
Hi, I am wondering if I need to purchase chick grit. I have 15 chicks, 6 days old in my guestroom bathtub. They get chick crumble food, bedding is pine shaving.I am hoping at 6 weeks to move them outside to their run. I use river sand in my runs currently so I know they would get grit then but do they need it before them?

Just to be clear, I am posting my experience to learn, and questioning.

I have hatched a ton of chicks in chip brooders with no grit, on chick starter. My grown run has tons of gravel but they don't get there until 4 weeks to even visit. Do we know for a fact there is benefit in adding grit to young chicks? What setbacks or risks does this pose? I am in a warm area might this impact results.

I don't need anyone getting triggered, this is a discussion to learn why it wouldn't work for op. MY sample is 6 sets greater than 100 chicks. They get access to Carolina dirt at 2 weeks usually but in the winter, only broken down chip and chick starter.

Just to be clear, I am posting my experience to learn, and questioning.

I have hatched a ton of chicks in chip brooders with no grit, on chick starter. My grown run has tons of gravel but they don't get there until 4 weeks to even visit. Do we know for a fact there is benefit in adding grit to young chicks? What setbacks or risks does this pose? I am in a warm area might this impact results.

I don't need anyone getting triggered, this is a discussion to learn why it wouldn't work for op. MY sample is 6 sets greater than 100 chicks. They get access to Carolina dirt at 2 weeks usually but in the winter, only broken down chip and chick starter.
This is my second time with chicks. My first set was only 4 but i didn’t use grit (no one at tractor supply told me i needed it and i was a newbie and still am) and they lived until 5 months when i lost two to a cold the vet said and the other two were roos who went to new homes. I’ve only had chickens for less then a year and i still feel like i have so much i need to learn

Grit can help develop the gizzard muscles.

I bought about a 2 gallon bag of granite grit from the local mill, they put it in their chicken scratch. Ran it thru a colander with 1/16" holes. Bagged the smaller stuff for the chicks and sprinkle some over a chunk of sod in the brooder during the second week.

http://www.jupefeeds-sa.com/documents/GraniteGrit.pdf.

I bought about a 2 gallon bag of granite grit from the local mill, they put it in their chicken scratch. Ran it thru a colander with 1/16" holes. Bagged the smaller stuff for the chicks and sprinkle some over a chunk of sod in the brooder during the second week.

How early did you give it to them? They will be 1 week old tomorrow. I checked online at tractor supply and the bag said to start at 2 weeks. Either way i’m gonna buy it tomorrow

If I throw fine gravel/slag from a drive, they would pick it out though right?

Back
Top Bottom