Chick Grower or Chick Starter

zrachie

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 24, 2010
Long Island
Hi all....perhaps a silly newbie question..

So I ordered non-medicated organic chick starter from McMurray 5lb bag. Was going to buy more for when the chicks arrive but the shipping was horrendous. I went to my local agway and the only non-medicated (my chicks are getting both vaccinations) was Chick Grower...he said it is the same thing as chick starter...Is this the case? Forgot to go look at the protein, but it is Agway brand. Want to make sure they are getting what they should. They will be getting lots of mealworm treats from my mealworm colony to get additional protein. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
smile.png

I don't know that this helps in your situation, but I use Purina's Start & Grow, I also feed them medicated feed for the first 4 weeks. They do great. Then I switch them over to Purina Flock Raiser for the protein.

Thanks for your quick reply. I guess I am not supposed to feed them the medicated feed because I had them vaccinated for both diseases and if you feed them the medicated feed the vaccination is nullified. Pain in the pizzazz should have just had them vacinnated for the Mareks(s.p) if I knew it was going to be so difficult to find the feed
smile.png

Starter and grower are not the same.

Have you checked to see if there's anything closer to you than McMurray that will ship? Countryside Natural products is out of Virginia so the shipping may be a wee bit less of a hit.

It is generally recommended to feed chick starter for the first 8 weeks and grower feed from 8 weeks until switching to layer. The Purina Start 'n Grow (chick starter) comes in both a medicated and a non-medicated version. Do you have a TSC (Tractor Supply) near you? They are now selling Purina feeds and carry both there.

Yeah, you don't want to feed the medicated starter if you've had them vaccinated for the coccidiosis. Feeding it would null and void the vaccination.
If you have a feed store close by, I would ask them about ordering feed for ya. Kinda a pain, but can be done.
You're going to be going through alot more feed than you think.

Starter crumbles up to 8 weeks.
or
Starter/Grower, until I get my first egg .

Grower Crumbles or pellets from 8 weeks until you get your first egg.

Layer from first egg on and free choice Oyster Shells. They will take what they want and need.

I use medicated Starter/Grower. I feed it to the birds until I get my first egg then I switch over to Layer. If I have any Starter/Grower or Grower left over when I get my first egg, I mix in the leftover feed with the Layer feed. I have never had any problems. The amprollium in the Starter or Starter/Grower helps in the chicks development in their resistance to cocci. It is sulfa based. There is only a problem eating the eggs layed by the birds that have had the medicated feed when they start to lay if you have any alergies to Sulfa.

Also, as soon as my chicks are given anything besides Starter/Grower Crumbles they are given free choice chick grit and they choose it with pleasure. Scratch is a treat. I don't mix it with their feed. TSC carries Chick Grit with is finer than regular grit.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom