Chick had hard hatch, born with curly toes/leg problems and won't eat on it's own

craxyjaxy424

Songster
Apr 12, 2021
Royersford, Pennsylvania
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Chick is unknown/mixed breed. Three days old this morning. Definitely smaller than the other two.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Curly toes/splayed leg/knee looks bent/injured. Chick can't stand upright/hold itself up. Not eating or drinking on it's own. Chirping a lot/seems to be in pain.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Since hatching. Egg was pipped for about 24 hours before hatching and finally came out still attached to the yolk/wrapped around it's leg. It fell off after about 15 minutes. We noticed right away that his feet / legs were not right. It took a very long time to dry compared to the other ones.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Yes. Pictures included of it's knee. It looked and large and purple/red before, but this morning the skin looks broken and it's bleeding.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Not sure what could have caused it other than the issues with hatching.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Chick has not been eating or drinking on its own at all. I've been feeding scrambled eggs and a little bit of chick feed. Giving it water from the syringe. Also, a drop of Nutri Drench three or four times a day and 2 drops of Poly Vi Sol without iron once or twice a day.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Poop is a little runny/infrequent.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I put the bandage boots on for the curly toes and some vetwrap between it's legs for the splayed leg. I'm noticing more now that something is really wrong with the knee that is bleeding. It looks bent or something.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I intend to just treat the chick myself as much as I can.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.
Chick is confined to its own box because the others were picking on it. It's just on a heating pad, curled up with a little towel and stuffed animal.

This is the beginning of our adventure with chickens. This was our first incubation/hatch. I've been going off of this website and other pages I've found to try and help the chick. Treating the splayed leg and curly toes seemed fairly easy to do, but now with the knee looking pretty messed up and an open sore on it along with it still not really eating on its own, I don't know what else to do.

IMG_20210425_102926566.jpg
IMG_20210425_092040976.jpg
IMG_20210423_150646628.jpg

Giving riboflavin, which is in the Polyvisol, but not the NutriDrench, is good. There could be leg problems because of incubator hatching problems, such as temps or humidity. Slipped tendon, and leg bone deformities are common in some chickens. You seem to be doing all that is possible. You could try a chick sling so the baby chick can eat and drink. Here are some examples of slings:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Back
Top Bottom