Chick had swollen eye now blurred vision plus shaky neck

Misbah Amin

Chirping
Aug 16, 2020
3 wks back my 3 months old chick developed swollen eye which was watery and he seemed sick as wasslow than usual plus had his tail down..we used antibiotic eyedrop swelling got relieved but he didnt become very active.. infact he seemed to be weaker. He would eat fine and would walk but sometimes he would seem to be losing balance. Now for the past 4 days his vision seem to be deteriorating fast as he cant peck at his food rather pecks nearby which led me to believe he has blurred vision or double vision. Plus his neck shakes when he eats.

What do you feed including treats?
Photos would be helpful - him, his eyes, etc.

If you can get video of his actions that may help too. Upload video to YouTube and provide a link.

Work on him eating his nutritionally balanced chick starter. Some of the symptoms you describe sound neurological, so I would also give him 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. A treat of egg daily would be helpful as well.

Do you know if he was vaccinated for Marek's? At his age and some of the symptoms you describe, Marek's disease may need to be considered as well.

If you can get video of his actions that may help too. Upload video to YouTube and provide a link.

Work on him eating his nutritionally balanced chick starter. Some of the symptoms you describe sound neurological, so I would also give him 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. A treat of egg daily would be helpful as well.

Do you know if he was vaccinated for Marek's? At his age and some of the symptoms you describe, Marek's disease may need to be considered as well.

In above video it is clearly being shown that he is pecking at the wrong place.
His diet is wheat grains, boiled rice, left over vegies

In above video it is clearly being shown that he is pecking at the wrong place.
His diet is wheat grains, boiled rice, left over vegies
Where are you located in the world?
Do you have any commercial poultry feed available? He may be struggling nutritionally. Try adding protein (eggs, meat, fish) to his diet. Get some vitamins into him. Poultry Vitamins or you can use the human vitamins I posted previously.
Does he have grit available?

A photo of both eyes may be helpful, do you notice if they have an odd shape to them?

Cute little guy:)

Where are you located in the world?
Do you have any commercial poultry feed available? He may be struggling nutritionally. Try adding protein (eggs, meat, fish) to his diet. Get some vitamins into him. Poultry Vitamins or you can use the human vitamins I posted previously.
Does he have grit available?

A photo of both eyes may be helpful, do you notice if they have an odd shape to them?

Cute little guy:)
Yes we do feed him egg occasionally and for the past few days I have been feeding him lysovit syrup which contains (vit B-complex, vit c, lysine) and I'll buy vit E 400IU. Okay I'll post pic of his eyes in the morning. I am from Karachi, Pakistan.

I would give protein once a day and the vitamins. See if that helps.
You mention he initially had infection in the eye, was it just one eye? Can he see out of the eye that was swollen? I wonder if his vision is bad in one eye.

I would give protein once a day and the vitamins. See if that helps.
You mention he initially had infection in the eye, was it just one eye? Can he see out of the eye that was swollen? I wonder if his vision is bad in one eye.
Yes infection was only in one eye. I am not sure but my sister who is taking care of him suspects that he has weak vision in one eye

I'm no vet but this could be a sever case of worms. Excess worms can make the chicken dehydrated. This would be what causing many of those symptoms. You might try a dewormer. Pumpkin can be used but its not as potent as others medications. You can sprinkle a bit of Diatom on their food as well. Hopefully this helps. Have you ever given the chicken grit? It might have something going on with their gullet as well. I'm not super familiar with the science of the gullet but there could be something going on there. Last thing if a predator got ahold of the chicken and bit its neck hard enough it could have crushed something internally. This most likely would get worst overtime and not be preventable. I had a few cases of this when the neighbors lab would run over and grab the chickens. It would kill the chickens just carry them around but they would act funny and after a few days or week at most they would pass. Pretty super the strength of the bite was crunching something in their necks. When I would be gone for work but the neighbors lab would be let out by their kids and without my neighbor being there himself the lab would take advantage of the moment and run over to play with our chickens. So I got a chicken coop door and set the timer to not open until afternoon when I knew the wife would be home from work to watch the coop. I got my chicken coop door form AutomaticChickenCoopDoor.com If something like this continues you might consider a door to only let it let the chickens out when your home to monitor the coop so nothing gets the chickens.
Thankyou so much for your insight but It cant be any kind of trauma from predator cz we already door to their coop but yes it could be worms so I'll consider deworming here.

Back
Top Bottom