Japanese quail with blind swollen eye

G coturnix

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 1, 2015
A male Japanese quail, currently 5 years old. Less active and vocal than when he was younger with the eye problem in question but otherwise quite healthy.
He was scratching his left eye for a week or two in late August before he decided to keep it shut for most of the time; I suspect a cataract or anisocoria due to age and he might have been scratching because his sight on that side was going blurry. (I was unfortunately out of the country during this time to observe this behaviour in person.) The scratches have not left any trauma or damage. Though I guess that left eye can now barely see anything with permanently (and extremely) expanded pupils, he doesn't seem to be in pain. He is opening that eye more frequently than before now but still mostly keeps it shut. I have raised him in the same exact environment for all his life with the same regular diet; I keep him indoors where the chances he can get an infection is very low.
The reason I'm posting the question now is because I discovered a small reddish swell growing on his eyelid today. Well, the eye has swollen since it went blind but there has been no redness until now and the swell looks bigger. I touched it carefully but I'm sure it's not bothering him with pain. I still worry if the red swell has the potential to grow or develop into a bad inflammation. Any diagnosis or suggestions for treatment or alleviation is more than welcome. It is difficult to find an avian vet around my place, and I don't want to risk placing my quail under stress considering his age. I would be very grateful if you could help since he is more than just a pet to me.

pictures 1-3 are taken today with the larger reddish swell, closed and opened. The last picture is from a couple of weeks ago without the new problem.
20231108_215359.jpg

20231108_215325.jpg
20231108_215350.jpg
20231108_222756.jpg

If my bobwhites or king quail suffer any kind of eye injury, I apply a slightly warm compress to open the eyelids (if it’s sealed closed), and I apply terramycin 2-3 times a day. I’ve never lost one to an eye injury. Good wishes ❤️

Thanks so much for the tips and warm words :') I just gave my boy a couple of saline drops and edible/water-soluble antibiotics before he went to sleep (it's nighttime here). Since the condition is at an early stage he doesn't have trouble opening his eye but prefers to have it closed due to imbalanced sight. I'll see if I can get Terramycin from the pharmacy today! With the warm compress do you use towels dipped in warm water?

Seems Terramycin is a prescription drug in my region. I have some Neodex eye ointment instead but I kept it as plan B since I was concerned about the steroids in it; will it still be safe to about the same extent as Terramycin? I'm also considering small doses of pawpaw cream but I've never used it on more delicate parts than the leg and beak etc. so I was wondering if that would work too...thanks a lot for the recommendations though :)

Thanks so much for the tips and warm words :') I just gave my boy a couple of saline drops and edible/water-soluble antibiotics before he went to sleep (it's nighttime here). Since the condition is at an early stage he doesn't have trouble opening his eye but prefers to have it closed due to imbalanced sight. I'll see if I can get Terramycin from the pharmacy today! With the warm compress do you use towels dipped in warm water?
You’re very welcome! We are here to help when you need us. Yes, I take a soft cloth, dip it in slightly warm water and hold it there. Occasionally, I have a quail getting something in its eye, etc, so it will seal closed. Please keep us updated.

Seems Terramycin is a prescription drug in my region. I have some Neodex eye ointment instead but I kept it as plan B since I was concerned about the steroids in it; will it still be safe to about the same extent as Terramycin? I'm also considering small doses of pawpaw cream but I've never used it on more delicate parts than the leg and beak etc. so I was wondering if that would work too...thanks a lot for the recommendations though :)
What @Eggcessive just recommended is great advice. I’ve used plain Neosporin as well.

What @Eggcessive just recommended is great advice. I’ve used plain Neosporin as well.
Been looking up all the medications mentioned. I unfortunately don't live in the States and there's not much on the list I can get my hands on without having them shipped from overseas...I'll have to make do with ones with similar antibiotic combinations for the time being but I'll definitely consult the pharmacist too (regular pharms here also deal with animal medications). Thanks so much again.

Back
Top Bottom