Chick has a weird limp?

AlexEve

Chirping
May 9, 2020
Calgary, Alberta
Hello
One of my chicks just started leaning in on her right leg and burrowing into her bedding a lot. I took a look at her and under her wing there are barely any feathers. Is she ok? Both my chicks spilled their water about half an hour ago, leaving some of the bedding damp. She kept burrowing into it leaning in on her right side. I took a look at her wings and found this. Is she ok? I’ve just changed their bedding and she is walking around a little bit more
Thank you

Attachments

• E3DF2DF4-55BE-44A4-A307-EB1570780911.jpeg
    E3DF2DF4-55BE-44A4-A307-EB1570780911.jpeg
    254 KB · Views: 4
Chicks often have bare spots, and they can get worse and better as they do their juvenile molts and real feathers are coming in. Can you post a video of what the chick is doing? I suspect she may be trying to dust bathe in the bedding. They will start doing this pretty young and if you've never seen it before it can be mistaken for seizures, fits, or spastic movements. They will usually lean to one side, kick with their feet, and flap wings, trying to distribute the 'dust' through their feathers/fluff. There is a video on this site below, showing chicks dust bathing. If that is not what you are seeing, then a video would be helpful to see what yours is doing.
https://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/chicken-behavior-the-dust-bath-zbcz1811

Chicks often have bare spots, and they can get worse and better as they do their juvenile molts and real feathers are coming in. Can you post a video of what the chick is doing? I suspect she may be trying to dust bathe in the bedding. They will start doing this pretty young and if you've never seen it before it can be mistaken for seizures, fits, or spastic movements. They will usually lean to one side, kick with their feet, and flap wings, trying to distribute the 'dust' through their feathers/fluff. There is a video on this site below, showing chicks dust bathing. If that is not what you are seeing, then a video would be helpful to see what yours is doing.
https://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/chicken-behavior-the-dust-bath-zbcz1811
She’s stopped doing it so I don’t have a video, but she was doing exactly what you described. Glad to know she’s ok, I thought she was sick or injured from the damp bedding somehow! Should I put some sandbox sand or something in the brooder for them to bathe in now? Thank you so much, very happy to know my bird is alright :)

I usually give them a large plant saucer of dry dirt from my yard. It's easy to clean, and switch out to clean soil. That also has the added benefit of exposing them to the microbes in your soil while their immune systems are developing so that they build some resistance to things naturally rather than getting it all at once when they move outside. This particularly applies to coccidiosis, and can greatly reduce your incidence. They love having the saucer of dirt, we call it a ' chick dirt party' at my house! They will scratch in it looking for things, and dust bathe in it. My soil is very sandy, so if yours is not, then you may want to add some construction sand (not play sand or paver sand- they are too fine and can become like mortar if wet-not what you want in the digestive tract). But generally they dust bathe in whatever soil/dirt they have in their environment.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/chicken-coop-bedding-sand-litter/

Back
Top Bottom