Chick has an extra toe

PTA Chicks

Songster
8 Years
Jan 15, 2012
KZN, South Africa
Her mommy has the extra toe as well. Is this typical? They're Bantams. No idea what type. Mommy is white with grey legs. Daddy is white but from unknown parents and is smaller than mommy hen. He has yellow legs
Baby has yellow legs and extra toe on each foot. Other babies have grey or yellow legs but normal toes.

Attachments

• 20191224_081457.jpg
    20191224_081457.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 20191224_081449.jpg
    20191224_081449.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 30
I always knew that Silkies had one more toe than other chickens. Searching further, I see there are other breeds that do also.
Copy,,, and Paste,,
five toes

No bird has more than four toes except chickens of the Dorking, Faverolle, Houden, Sultan, and Non-bearded Silkie Bantams, all of which have five toes.

Are your chickens any of these listed categories?
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I have no idea what breed my Bantams are. I got the hen as an adult and she hatched the rooster Bantam from an egg someone gave me with no idea who the parents were. So it's just a big mystery :-D

It's genetic, just like having different kinds of combs or even different colors and patterns are genetic. Somewhere in that chicks ancestry it have four toed chickens and five toed chickens. When you breed chickens that are crosses you never know what genes will show up. To me, that's part of the fun in breeding crosses, see what you actually get. As long as you are not breeding for show or have other specific goals it should not matter.

Back
Top Bottom