Chick has bloody vent area

missweki

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 5, 2015
Yesterday I found a very young chick running around in my yard and it was trying to get into the area where my chickens are kept. I have no clue where this chick came from, but since it is getting cold and it is too young to fight off anything, I took it in and put it by itself. I noticed it had a lot of its poop stuck onto its rear feathers and it smelled, so after cleaning it up I found that the chick's vent is very bloody and the tip of it is a green-ish color.
I am wondering if there is anything I should worry about with this chick. Today I cleaned the vent area again and it is throbbing and protruding and seems to have a hard time passing poop through. I gave it some corid in case it has coccidia, but I do not know what is causing the throbbing and protruding.

Could the chick have been hatched in a hiding spot by one of your hens? It sounds like it may have a prolapsed vent or pasty butt, and the others have pecked and injured. I would cleant the vent with warm soap and water, and dry it off thoroughly. Apply some neosporin ointment to the vent. If the vent is prolapsed it may need to be pushed back inside. Hemorrhoid cream or honey applied ti the vent may reduce swelling. Pictures of it's vent area may be helpful. Green or darkened skin could be a sign that the tissue could be necrotic or dead, but green can also be bruising. Make sure the chick is kept warm, and is eating and drinking.

Could the chick have been hatched in a hiding spot by one of your hens? It sounds like it may have a prolapsed vent or pasty butt, and the others have pecked and injured. I would cleant the vent with warm soap and water, and dry it off thoroughly. Apply some neosporin ointment to the vent. If the vent is prolapsed it may need to be pushed back inside. Hemorrhoid cream or honey applied ti the vent may reduce swelling. Pictures of it's vent area may be helpful. Green or darkened skin could be a sign that the tissue could be necrotic or dead, but green can also be bruising. Make sure the chick is kept warm, and is eating and drinking.
I do not think it hatched from any of my hens because it looks nothing like any of them, and none of my hens have been broody in the past two months. None of my chickens are free ranged, so they have no hiding spot that I don't know of and I always collect eggs daily. I think that this chick may belong to one of my neighbor's free range hens but I have not seen any of his chickens come into my yard before since he is several houses down from me.
I have no way to take a picture of it at this time, but I think it might be prolapsed or at the first stages of becoming so. I can put on hemorrhoid cream on it and try to put it back in once it has stopped swelling. The chick has been eating and drinking, but the food I have been giving him is for laying hens and I don't know if that is going to mess with its poop more or not.

How old do you think the chick is? They need heat up to around 6 weeks or whenever they are sick. Make sure that it is ntakingnplenty of fluids.Chick starter grower is much healthier, and has more protein and 1/4 of the calcium that layer contains. Feeding too much calcium to chicks can cause gout and kidney problems.

How old do you think the chick is? They need heat up to around 6 weeks or whenever they are sick. Make sure that it is ntakingnplenty of fluids.Chick starter grower is much healthier, and has more protein and 1/4 of the calcium that layer contains. Feeding too much calcium to chicks can cause gout and kidney problems.
I will go out and get some chick starter tomorrow for it, then. It has feathers on its back and wings but not on its head and legs, so I am guessing it is about a month old.

Hi.
frow.gif

Have you tried contacting the neighbor to see about returning the chick?

Back
Top Bottom