Chick has chipped beak?

Harrelltn93

Songster
Mar 24, 2018
Piedmont region, North Carolina
I have 4 chicks that are all a week old, 2 standard size and 2 bantam. One of the bantams has what looks like a chip in the middle of the beak. It wasn’t chipped when I first brought them home so I’m thinking maybe one of the chicks pecked it. They others aren’t picking on it or at the place and it’s eating, drinking, overall acting normal and healthy. Will it grow back?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 45
Well I've seen rub spots from metal feeders, but I haven't seen it from nothing. Hopefully it's a slight defect that doesn't cause troubles. Nothing much you can do but keep an eye on it.

It should fill in and look good as new. I had a young cockerel chip off the tip of his upper beak last summer. He looked pretty goofy, but it grew back in 8 weeks and today you can't tell he had an injury. Last week I saw another young cockerel had done the same thing with his upper beak. It is already starting to fill in and have a rounded tip again.

They are very remarkable healer.

I'd keep an eye on it, make sure that there isn't anything it could be rubbing it's upper beak on and it isn't being picked on. If you noticing the other chicks picking at the chipped area I'd get a bottle of blue cote and carefully touch the spot with a q-tip, careful to have the q-tip dry as possible so it doesn't run in the chicks nose or mouth. It will keep the other chicks from pecking at it.

BTW cute chicks. And :welcome

It should fill in and look good as new. I had a young cockerel chip off the tip of his upper beak last summer. He looked pretty goofy, but it grew back in 8 weeks and today you can't tell he had an injury. Last week I saw another young cockerel had done the same thing with his upper beak. It is already starting to fill in and have a rounded tip again.

They are very remarkable healer.

I'd keep an eye on it, make sure that there isn't anything it could be rubbing it's upper beak on and it isn't being picked on. If you noticing the other chicks picking at the chipped area I'd get a bottle of blue cote and carefully touch the spot with a q-tip, careful to have the q-tip dry as possible so it doesn't run in the chicks nose or mouth. It will keep the other chicks from pecking at it.

BTW cute chicks. And :welcome

Thanks so much! I’ve been checking in frequently and it doesn’t seem to be getting picked on. I’m glad to hear that the little thing won’t have a deformity :) such a little cutie! I think it’s an oeg it got it from an assorted bantam bin.

No problem. It could be a silver duck wing. It's coloring is pretty light except for the 'chipmunking' stripes on it. I picked up 5 at the local Orscheln's three weeks ago. Little doll babies each and every one. I also have Black Breasted reds. The BBR chicks are more fawn colored the SWDs are lighter, almost creamy white.

Good luck with your babies. Feel free to check back in with pictures as they grow. We LOVE pictures here.

Back
Top Bottom