Chick has ENORMOUS Crop-Help!

havenwoodchix9

Chirping
5 Years
May 5, 2016
Hi Everyone,
I have three 3 week old chicks that have been thriving. I read somewhere that you can put some small grasses in the brooder. I have been doing that and they love it. I didn't offer grit right away but they have had it for the last week. Earlier I noticed one was making some unusual movements so I picked her up to investigate. She is still very fluffy on her chest so I didn't notice that her crop is absolutely gigantic. I know it is full of grass. I am beside myself that I have caused this problem.

I've been reading that I should offer her water via dropper and a couple of drops of olive oil twice a day. Does that sound right? I'm terrified that it's too far along for those remedies to help. Is there anything else I should do?

Thank you!!
Jane

Hello Jane!

Yes, grass can impact crops very well when there is no grit. However, it isn't unusual for chicks to really pack themselves full, what you want to check for is if the chicks crop is emptying by morning before they eat. If it isn't then it is impacted and you should place the chick in its own area with just water, no more food, as it will just keep eating and packing more and more in. Everyone has a slightly different way to cure an impacted crop. I just leave them with water/apple cider vinegar mix for 24 hours, usually clears up.

Hello Jane!

Yes, grass can impact crops very well when there is no grit. However, it isn't unusual for chicks to really pack themselves full, what you want to check for is if the chicks crop is emptying by morning before they eat. If it isn't then it is impacted and you should place the chick in its own area with just water, no more food, as it will just keep eating and packing more and more in. Everyone has a slightly different way to cure an impacted crop. I just leave them with water/apple cider vinegar mix for 24 hours, usually clears up.
Thank you so much! I so appreciate your advice!

I agree with Dephora, wait and check in the morning.
If it is empty then, the chick is fine.
(This works best if the chicks are sleeping in the dark. If they have light all night, they may decide to snack all night. But even then, if you check early in the morning, the chick will probably have a less-full crop if everything is working right.)

Some chicks do like to really stuff themselves when they eat, but as long as it all digests properly, it is not a problem.

I agree with Dephora, wait and check in the morning.
If it is empty then, the chick is fine.
(This works best if the chicks are sleeping in the dark. If they have light all night, they may decide to snack all night. But even then, if you check early in the morning, the chick will probably have a less-full crop if everything is working right.)

Some chicks do like to really stuff themselves when they eat, but as long as it all digests properly, it is not a problem.
Thank you so much for responding. I'm really worried about her--she is just standing still and making the movement like she is trying to clear it. She's not eating so I don't think that's an issue right now. It's amazing how attached you get after only three weeks...

Thank you so much for responding. I'm really worried about her--she is just standing still and making the movement like she is trying to clear it.

You are the one there seeing it in person, and I am not. So I cannot be sure whether you need to worry or not.

But I have seen chickens eat LOTS of food, and sometimes they act a little odd (probably like people who ate too much at a holiday dinner). They are usually fine within a few hours. Of course, make sure water and chick starter are constantly available, and maybe grit as well.

I think there is a very good chance she just stuffed her crop very full, and will feel fine after she has a few hours to digest some of it.

You are the one there seeing it in person, and I am not. So I cannot be sure whether you need to worry or not.

But I have seen chickens eat LOTS of food, and sometimes they act a little odd (probably like people who ate too much at a holiday dinner). They are usually fine within a few hours. Of course, make sure water and chick starter are constantly available, and maybe grit as well.

I think there is a very good chance she just stuffed her crop very full, and will feel fine after she has a few hours to digest some of it.
I hope you're right. Chick starter and water are available...but NO GRASS! Either way, thank you!

Hey, unfortunately about the same but she is still up and around and active. I am actually taking her to a vet tomorrow morning because I just don't think she's going to be able to handle it herself. The vet told me to segregate her with water and mash that is mostly liquified. I think it's possible that she was ingesting some of the bedding. I had some small pine shavings left over form something else so I was using it for the chicks. It may not have been the grass after all. I'll let you know what the vet says.

Thanks so much for checking on her!

Back
Top Bottom