Chick hatched but hen kicked it out

buttersbrood

Chirping
Oct 5, 2021
Aotearoa New Zealand
Any help much appreciated:
One chick hatched this morning, first one for a first time mum! Not sure if any of the other 3 are viable.

When I found the chick, it was next to the nest, not under the hen! Very floppy, wet, but still warm.

I popped it under the hen, she pecked at it once. So I took it, popped it under her at the back of her wing/side.

It's still alive, I heard it cheep once but very faintly. It seems very weak.

Any ideas of what to do, and how old this chick might be? Looked fully formed and no defects, just very, very weak.

Any help much appreciated

Chickens use their beak to investigate so her pecking it isn't a concern unless it was hard.
If the chick was wet, it hatched recently.
It could have fallen from the nest when pushing out of the shell. She may not have pushed it out. You'll have to determine that by observing her closely through the hatch without actually interfering with her.
Keep an eye on mom to make sure the chick is still under her for the day. Make your last check shortly after dark. Be out tomorrow morning before it's light out and check them again.
You can gently lift her wings in the morning to see if any other eggs have hatched and to make sure the chick is okay.
Mom will sit tight for about 24 or so hours after the first chick hatches to try to hatch out all the eggs before she will leave the nest with her brood.

Last edited:
Chickens use their beak to investigate so her pecking it isn't a concern unless it was hard.
If the chick was wet, it hatched recently.
It could have fallen from the nest when pushing out of the shell. She may not have pushed it out. You'll have to determine that by observing her closely through the hatch without actually interfering with her.
Keep an eye on mom to make sure the chick is still under her for the day. Make your last check shortly after dark. Be out tomorrow morning before it's light out and check them again.
You can gently lift her wings in the morning to see if any other eggs have hatched and to make sure the chick is okay.
Mom will sit tight for about 24 or so after the first chick hatches hours to try to hatch out all the eggs before she will leave the nest with her brood.
I think you're right. It looked so wet and floppy when I found it, and only just 5cm/2 inches away from the hen.
I've been keeping an eye on them, and she is contentedly sitting on the chick.
Will keep checking throughout the day and early tomorrow morning. Thank you so much @DobieLover

I think you're right. It looked so wet and floppy when I found it, and only just 5cm/2 inches away from the hen.
I've been keeping an eye on them, and she is contentedly sitting on the chick.
Will keep checking throughout the day and early tomorrow morning. Thank you so much @DobieLover
Also, the initial peck was gentle, not hard, so she probably was trying to get the chick in line. Poor thing couldn't even move 🐥. All good now, chick is quiet, so is mum ❤️

Back
Top Bottom