Chick hatched this morning and disappeared. I’m devastated.

tizabel_

Songster
Apr 28, 2020
North Central Washington
My very sweet hen Pishy has been dedicated to sitting on a clutch of six eggs. Yesterday, I noticed the first pipping egg. This morning, I awoke to the cutest, fluffiest chick I have ever seen. I already have her a name. Pictured attached.

I’ve been so excited, checking on them three times today. I’ve been careful not to stress Pishy out. My flock is very attached to me, so Pishy let’s me handle her chick and the rest of her eggs, trusting that I will safely return them to her. She doesn’t complain.

The second time I checked on them, I found that three of the now five eggs had started to pip.

The third time I went out to our walk-in coop, was to move Pishy, her one chick, and the rest of the eggs to a different nest on the floor of the coop, instead of the nesting box a foot off the ground.

I was too late.

Pishy herself and all of her eggs are accounted for, the pipping ones moving along well. But her chick is nowhere to be found. I checked under every feather of her mother, under every piece of straw in our coop, in all of the nesting boxes. There is no body, no peeping to be heard. I’m heartbroken. I fell in love with that chick at first sight.

I don’t know anything for sure, but I assume the chick fell out of the nesting box and couldn’t get back up. Her mother would have to decide between warming the one live chick on the ground, or the five other eggs in the process of hatching back in her nest. The chick must have died, and my other hens may have eaten it’s body.

She has now settled down in a makeshift nesting box on the floor of the coop, underneath the original box. If a newly hatched chick strays from the nest, she will be able to get back in.

I should have moved her sooner. I don’t think I’m cut out to be a rancher. I will never heal from this loss.

Attachments

• 4B132288-5FD5-4E1D-8422-A388553A0D1A.jpeg
    4B132288-5FD5-4E1D-8422-A388553A0D1A.jpeg
    401.8 KB · Views: 29
My very sweet hen Pishy has been dedicated to sitting on a clutch of six eggs. Yesterday, I noticed the first pipping egg. This morning, I awoke to the cutest, fluffiest chick I have ever seen. I already have her a name. Pictured attached.

I’ve been so excited, checking on them three times today. I’ve been careful not to stress Pishy out. My flock is very attached to me, so Pishy let’s me handle her chick and the rest of her eggs, trusting that I will safely return them to her. She doesn’t complain.

The second time I checked on them, I found that three of the now five eggs had started to pip.

The third time I went out to our walk-in coop, was to move Pishy, her one chick, and the rest of the eggs to a different nest on the floor of the coop, instead of the nesting box a foot off the ground.

I was too late.

Pishy herself and all of her eggs are accounted for, the pipping ones moving along well. But her chick is nowhere to be found. I checked under every feather of her mother, under every piece of straw in our coop, in all of the nesting boxes. There is no body, no peeping to be heard. I’m heartbroken. I fell in love with that chick at first sight.

I don’t know anything for sure, but I assume the chick fell out of the nesting box and couldn’t get back up. Her mother would have to decide between warming the one live chick on the ground, or the five other eggs in the process of hatching back in her nest. The chick must have died, and my other hens may have eaten it’s body.

She has now settled down in a makeshift nesting box on the floor of the coop, underneath the original box. If a newly hatched chick strays from the nest, she will be able to get back in.

I should have moved her sooner. I don’t think I’m cut out to be a rancher. I will never heal from this loss.
Oh I’m so sorry! My broody hen that will hatch eggs goes into her own box to protect the chicks from the flockmates. I’m so sorry that things didn’t go according to plan. 💔 Hopefully the rest of the eggs hatch and are happy and healthy!🐣

Last edited:

I was too late.

Did anymore hatch? So sorry this happened. Can’t blame yourself. Sometime nature just has a mind of its own. You couldn’t have known and you can’t change it.

I was too late.

So sorry for your loss. I lost a young Barred Rock named Misty to a hawk attack last year. He took her head off and left the body in a split second in front of my husband! I didn’t think I’d recover from that either but I got more birds, lost a few more (not from a hawk) but I kept going. It’s all we can do. When we’re in the middle of Mother Nature we aren’t always able to control outcomes. That’s hard to take I know, but it’s true. I agree with you in that I’m not cut out to be a rancher either but I’m going to keep trying because the reward is greater then the hearthache. So far anyway. 😊

I had a young mama whose new chick disappeared like that too. She has since raised several batches of babies, but segregated from the rest of the flock. I don’t let any of my hens raise babies with the flock anymore, even tho I no longer have the mean hens I suspected of taking the chick.

Hi there, how are you doing now? Any more chicks hatched? :( I'm so sorry for your loss, I lost one baby chick due a crow last week and it still hurts. Two other babies hatched, but the five remaining eggs died, I was and still am devastated about it too... Are you a bit alright now? ❤️

Back
Top Bottom