Chick hatched with bad leg!

SouthBound

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Hi everyone, just joined the forum:)

I'm steve, live in the south west of England. I wanted to raise a couple of chickens with the kids for the garden. I borrowd an icubator, and incubated 16 egg's to give me the best chance of getting a couple of hens. 21days later i have 13 chicks!
All is well, but i have a chick with a leg that spreads out to the side, and she cant use it very well. She seems healthy enough, eating well and drinking, but i dont know if there is something i should be doing for her, or will she just have to live with the defect? they all are just a week old now.
has anyone got any ideas please?

Quote:
Hi Steve
frow.gif

Try a search on here (BYC) for splay leg....see if that is maybe what you are dealing with. If so there are very good instructions for correcting it. I once had a hatchling Showgirl that had splay leg and did the little bandaid treatment and it was up running around the next day. Hope this helps.

Suz

Just an update, Tried the "band aid" method, and it did help. She has more use in the problem leg. She is still not %100 (probably because i may have left it too long before i did anything about it) But she is getting around much better.
Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom