Chick hatched with bad leg!

SouthBound

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Hi everyone, just joined the forum:)

I'm steve, live in the south west of England. I wanted to raise a couple of chickens with the kids for the garden. I borrowd an icubator, and incubated 16 egg's to give me the best chance of getting a couple of hens. 21days later i have 13 chicks!
All is well, but i have a chick with a leg that spreads out to the side, and she cant use it very well. She seems healthy enough, eating well and drinking, but i dont know if there is something i should be doing for her, or will she just have to live with the defect? they all are just a week old now.
has anyone got any ideas please?

silkie_sue

Songster
9 Years
Sep 14, 2010
Keokuk, Iowa
Quote:Hi Steve

Try a search on here (BYC) for splay leg....see if that is maybe what you are dealing with. If so there are very good instructions for correcting it. I once had a hatchling Showgirl that had splay leg and did the little bandaid treatment and it was up running around the next day. Hope this helps.

Suz

SouthBound

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Thank you
Will have a look now, will be great if i can help her out.

SouthBound

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Just an update, Tried the "band aid" method, and it did help. She has more use in the problem leg. She is still not %100 (probably because i may have left it too long before i did anything about it) But she is getting around much better.
Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom