Weak chick, home hatched

Stephanie8806

Songster
5 Years
Feb 18, 2019
Central Washington State
Hey there! Suggestions wanted!

I’ve hatched a few chicks in our incubator the last few days, and one doesn’t seem to be doing well. It’s sleeping much more than the others and is pretty unsteady on its feet. It is also struggling to keep its eyes open. It hatched on time(21days) and although not quite 24 hours old, There’s another one that hatched right after it that is doing just fine.

Everything went pretty normally with the hatch, the chicks that were already hatched helped it out of the shell after it had unzipped. Although everything was absorbed, there was a little blood around the umbilical cord and smeared around the incubator grate. Only a few drops, but their bodies are sooooo tiny, I think that maybe the blood loss affected it. I removed the other chicks to a brooder so it can get good rest, and gave it a few drops of watered down plain yogurt before putting it back in the incubator.

Are there any other recommendations you guys have? I really want this little chick to make it!

Attachments

• IMG_9017.jpeg
    IMG_9017.jpeg
    296.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9016.jpeg
    IMG_9016.jpeg
    287.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9014.jpeg
    IMG_9014.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9018.jpeg
    IMG_9018.jpeg
    407.4 KB · Views: 1
Our closest TSC is over an hour and a half away 😬
I've seen it at regular feeds stores and walmart.. but selection varies by region.

The amino acids with no need for digestion to work is the real reason I recommend the PND.. for informational purposes.

Have you got any B complex on hand.. if so crush it up, break it open, or whatever and include it in whatever you try to supplement.. I don't know the exact dose but B's are okay and will not overdose.

In a pinch.. some use liquid baby vitamins (no iron)..

Others may use some raw egg yolk, and I have also.. since it's easily digestible.. the thickness or stickiness is a bit of a deterrent for me as I'm worried about the chick aspirating it more somehow.. which *may* not actually be an issue.. but my brain thinks so.

I'm not sure why it's my last suggestion.. but local stores may carry some sav-a-chick.. type packets to mix with the water.. which have electrolytes and some vitamin content.

I have also made chick electrolytes using pantry items and internet recipes.. while the chick should not actually be dehydrated.. it may still be useful.. *maybe* especially the sugar to provide some energy.

Keeping in the incubator until it's able to move into and out of heat on it's own is a great choice.

Once a supplement plan is in place or starting in the morning/daytime (to see if it' just extra sleepy from the hatch).. I might administer a few drops every half hour until improvement is seen.

Some might also suggest a little neosporin or triple antibiotic on the naval scab.

There may be unseen issues that don't correlate to the hail mary's I'm suggesting. Please note some are exactly that hailmary's and please use YOUR best judgement. :fl

Back
Top Bottom