I can only tell you how I’d handle it. I would bring one of her siblings in to keep her company. Brood them away from the mama, since this teeny one is behind. Then, you could grow the 2 out together, and introduce them to the flock later. Your chick will thrive with a sibling, rather than alone. Please let us know how she’s doing. 🥰 She has a greater chance away from a mama that could harm her.
Okay! I brought the other smallest one in for her/him. It definitely looks like it's trying to walk, it's using the bottom of the brooder plate to push against to try and stand up, so I feel like that's promising.

Okay! I brought the other smallest one in for her/him. It definitely looks like it's trying to walk, it's using the bottom of the brooder plate to push against to try and stand up, so I feel like that's promising.
I’m glad to hear it @BerthaBoo! Sounds like she’s improving. 😊

Hi, I have a chick like this right now too. Currently 3 days old and still struggling to pick up food, but that's an improvement from when it wasn't moving at all!

I have found the only way to save chicks who don't gain strength is routine handfeeding, sometimes it works. I feed mine once per hour and it seems to be regaining strength despite having none before!!

I use q-tips and infant syringes to put mash and egg yolk in it's beak. I do egg yolk twice a day just for extra calories, warm mash the rest of the day. I also do nutridrench once per day, electrolytes can help but may cause pasty butt which can be lethal quickly for a struggling weak chick. Especially when you need to sleep all night!

The chick will probably be a little messy from all the handfeeding but try to keep it as clean/dry as possible or else they fuss over how dirty they are/sleep less.

I hope everything goes well. Good luck!!

Hi, I have a chick like this right now too. Currently 3 days old and still struggling to pick up food, but that's an improvement from when it wasn't moving at all!

I have found the only way to save chicks who don't gain strength is routine handfeeding, sometimes it works. I feed mine once per hour and it seems to be regaining strength despite having none before!!

I use q-tips and infant syringes to put mash and egg yolk in it's beak. I do egg yolk twice a day just for extra calories, warm mash the rest of the day. I also do nutridrench once per day, electrolytes can help but may cause pasty butt which can be lethal quickly for a struggling weak chick. Especially when you need to sleep all night!

The chick will probably be a little messy from all the handfeeding but try to keep it as clean/dry as possible or else they fuss over how dirty they are/sleep less.

I hope everything goes well. Good luck!!
Thank you! I've been feeding it water with poul-vite (I think it's similar to nutridrench?) via qtip - It's going for the food but so uncoordinated it's a struggle. The egg yolk idea is smart, I'll have to try that.

Thank you! I've been feeding it water with poul-vite (I think it's similar to nutridrench?) via qtip - It's going for the food but so uncoordinated it's a struggle. The egg yolk idea is smart, I'll have to try that.
Since it's still very young, it's okay to let them sleep a lot. Dipping their beak in water routinely and letting them sleep a lot might be enough to revive them in the first couple days just because they should have absorbed the yolk/be surviving off that still.

Around day 3, hand feeding has to be pretty routine to ensure any chance of survival or they will starve. It's fine not to feed at night though while you sleep!

How are it's little feet? Eta: they look a little curled and may need shoes to help with wobblyness?

We recently-last week in fact, had a crushed egg with assisted hatch, but now you wouldn't know.

I fed mash with egg and super b vitamin crushed in for the few couple days. And at times probiotics. Yes, Mama and all chicks are it. Mama was very gentle moving the first three days, as if she knew she had one lagging behind, but my Mama allows me to inspect chicks, her and hand feed.

I made a thread about it-- Survivor, if you search my name.

Good luck to you and the little one!

How are it's little feet? Eta: they look a little curled and may need shoes to help with wobblyness?

We recently-last week in fact, had a crushed egg with assisted hatch, but now you wouldn't know.

I fed mash with egg and super b vitamin crushed in for the few couple days. And at times probiotics. Yes, Mama and all chicks are it. Mama was very gentle moving the first three days, as if she knew she had one lagging behind, but my Mama allows me to inspect chicks, her and hand feed.

I made a thread about it-- Survivor, if you search my name.

Good luck to you and the little one!
I don’t think it’s the feet, it’s almost like it doesn’t have the strength to stand for longer than a few seconds, so it’s super wobbly. When it does stand it’s feet and toes are straight.

If it can build up a little more strength I’d like to put it back with mamma and have them on a diet like that! My mamma is super docile too, so grabbing her chicks is not problem.

And thank you! Glad yours survived ❤️

Back
Top Bottom